Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,667   Online: 690

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I consider depth of field preview essential. I will not buy an SLR that doesn't have it. The only reason I have one that doesn't is that it was given to me.
    Yep.

Though I do use an ME Super these days. The tiny camera is perfect for street shooting where I don't really need DoF preview.

I don't use it all the time of course, but I use it a LOT. You get used to it. Especially in a camera with a nice bright viewfinder like my LX and MX, I consider it extremely useful.
    Same here, absolutely.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yep.

Though I do use an ME Super these days. The tiny camera is perfect for street shooting where I don't really need DoF preview.

Same here, absolutely.

I don't see the point in using an SLR that doesn't have DoF preview, that's the point of having an SLR for me, other wise just use a Rangefinder... lol, and street shooting is good with an RF because of the dark areas where you need to hand hold at 1/30 or 1/15 which you can't do with an SLR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't see the point in using an SLR that doesn't have DoF preview, that's the point of having an SLR for me, other wise just use a Rangefinder... lol, and street shooting is good with an RF because of the dark areas where you need to hand hold at 1/30 or 1/15 which you can't do with an SLR
    I'm fine with an SLR. The little camera has a large, bright, contrasty finder, and I like accurate framing, as I shoot transparency mostly. Plus it's very inexpensive, and I can use one of several short zooms if I want to. I'm partial to the SMC-M 24-35 f/3.5 on the ME Super. I'm less likely to get mugged for the camera, and if it happens I can replace it easily.

For most work I want a camera with DoF preview, but for broad landscapes and street I don't really need it. The Super just grew on me, though I would never keep it instead of the MX, LX, or other camera with DoF preview, plus other things like interchangeable focusing screens. On rare occasion, I do want to check DoF with the Super, so I press in the lens release button and rotate the lens like I'm taking it off until the diaphragm closes. After I check I just turn the lens back until it locks. It's funky but it works. The lens has a ways more to go until it could fall off, so being reasonably careful there's no problem.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I miss the film compartment in most new cameras. I'd love a Nikon D800 if I just knew how to load the film in it
    Pitty the F100 don't have the ocular shutter like on the F90X.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just cut a hole in the camera back, and you can look right at the film.
    Of course!
    Why didn't I think of that myself?

I tried opening the back after each shot but the film kept falling out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on the lens. I can hand hold an SLR pretty easily at 1/30th with a 50mm lens if I'm careful. Not as critically sharp as if it were on a tripod of course, but fine for most purposes. 1/15th is a different prospect. I've been able to pull it off, but far from consistently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm fine with an SLR. The little camera has a large, bright, contrasty finder, and I like accurate framing, as I shoot transparency mostly. Plus it's very inexpensive, and I can use one of several short zooms if I want to. I'm partial to the SMC-M 24-35 f/3.5 on the ME Super. I'm less likely to get mugged for the camera, and if it happens I can replace it easily.

For most work I want a camera with DoF preview, but for broad landscapes and street I don't really need it. The Super just grew on me, though I would never keep it instead of the MX, LX, or other camera with DoF preview, plus other things like interchangeable focusing screens. On rare occasion, I do want to check DoF with the Super, so I press in the lens release button and rotate the lens like I'm taking it off until the diaphragm closes. After I check I just turn the lens back until it locks. It's funky but it works. The lens has a ways more to go until it could fall off, so being reasonably careful there's no problem.
    Humm, interesting trick. If it works on the ME Super it should work on my K1000. I'll try it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Depends on the lens. I can hand hold an SLR pretty easily at 1/30th with a 50mm lens if I'm careful. Not as critically sharp as if it were on a tripod of course, but fine for most purposes. 1/15th is a different prospect. I've been able to pull it off, but far from consistently.
    It's more about the mirror slap, even at 1/30 it's pretty hard to get a clear image even with some cheap tripods some mirrors just slap hard, heck the Mamiya RZ67's amd Hassleblad mirrors are so heavy at 1/60 you have to be careful.

I am pretty steady and HAVE hand held long lenses, heck I can hand hold my 70-200 lens at 1/30 without IS but that's because the dampener on the new 5D is AMAZING not so with older SLR's

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a Hasselblad the Zeiss lenses are so sharp wide open, there is not need to bother stopping down.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

It's more about the mirror slap, even at 1/30 it's pretty hard to get a clear image even with some cheap tripods some mirrors just slap hard, heck the Mamiya RZ67's amd Hassleblad mirrors are so heavy at 1/60 you have to be careful.

I am pretty steady and HAVE hand held long lenses, heck I can hand hold my 70-200 lens at 1/30 without IS but that's because the dampener on the new 5D is AMAZING not so with older SLR's

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Medium format SLRs have much bigger mirrors thus more effect from the slap. I will shoot with my 35mm SLRs at speeds I wouldn't attempt with my Mamiya 645. 6x6 of course is another step up and yet another to 6x7.

My comment about doing well at 1/30th was referring to 35mm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin