Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,103   Online: 757

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In digital the counter is really helpful. You don't see a Nikon D3 with 120K actuations advertised as "amateur use only!" even when it's excellent cosmetically.

I actually checked some sale offers for the Fuji GW690 and many has quoted the actuation count. I wonder if one can obtain actuation count for Nikon F6!

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the subject of the Fuji GW690, it has two shutter release buttons. One on top and one on the front, I always use the front one as it falls conveniently under my finger. Unfortunately it falls conveniently under my finger when I pick the camera up to use it! When you only have 8 exposures on a film it is very annoying to waste one. A shutter lock button would be useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Only on digital cameras sadly....

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Plaubel Makiflex has a counter, there may be others.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Has any manufacturer made a film camera with shutter counter.. that would make a better indicator of the state of a used camera than going by the state of the outer shell.
    I believe camera like the Nikon F5, F100 and F6 do have the shutter counter but can not be read by the user but only Nikon service facility.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about MLU (mirror lock up). This was a feature that if it were introduced in the first model, was usually omitted in the following models. Sure, MLU was a feature they reserved for their top models but they even omitted this in their top models as in the examples listed below:
    1. Olympus OM1 had it then omitted in the OM2
    2. Canon F-1 had it then omitted in the New F-1
    3. Minolta SRT-101 had it carried over to the SRT-102 but was omitted in the later production versions

I suppose you can say the Pentax KX had it but was omitted in the MX but they are two different series.

Were there other examples?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta had the mirror lock up on the SR-1, SR-7, SRT-101 and SRT-102. It was on those cameras because the 21mm lens for the camera was not a retrofocus lens and the mirror needed to be out of the way. When Minolta brought out a retrofocus 21mm lens, there was no longer a need for a mirror lockup.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    There were a few SR-1 versions and the SR-1e version I have does not have MLU. According to the Rokkor Files SR series only the SR-1V - the last version, had it and it was required in order to use the 21mm lens.
    Finally, a mirror lock up was added, enabling users to utilise the 21mm super wide angle introduced by the company in 1962.

Shooter
    35mm
    Extending the film advance lever to activate the meter with half press of the shutter. I suppose the thought process was that this would prevent battery drain when a camera is in a bag and something may contact the shutter accidentally. Of course this method tends to poke into the eyes of those who are left eyed. A more clever implementation can be found in the Pentax MX and LX (possible others too?) that have a shutter lock to prevent accidental activation of the meter or shutter. Also, the meter can be activated and the shutter can be fired without the film advance sticking out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Minolta invented the Senswitch for the Minolta XM (X-1, XK).
    I personally think that was brilliant.
    http://www.rokkorfiles.com/XK.html

The X-700 and the XG series have a not less brilliant feature: a surface on the shutter release senses the conductivity of the finger and turns the light meter on. So the light meter stays on when your finger is on the shutter release and stays off (after 20 seconds or so) when you take your finger out of the shutter release.
    The result is the same as the Senswitch: you can walk for hours keeping the light meter "on" so that you have it immediately ready but without wasting the energy during most of the time, when you actually just "walk".
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Minolta invented the Senswitch for the Minolta XM (X-1, XK).
    I personally think that was brilliant.
    http://www.rokkorfiles.com/XK.html

The X-700 and the XG series have a not less brilliant feature: a surface on the shutter release senses the conductivity of the finger and turns the light meter on. So the light meter stays on when your finger is on the shutter release and stays off (after 20 seconds or so) when you take your finger out of the shutter release.
    The result is the same as the Senswitch: you can walk for hours keeping the light meter "on" so that you have it immediately ready but without wasting the energy during most of the time, when you actually just "walk".
    Sounds like a wonderful idea! Does it work with gloved hands?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin