Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,624   Online: 722

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    fstop, As you see from the quote, I was aware of the purpose of this idiot proof feature. Of course, anyone unaware of how a covered lens would affect aperture priority has already missed the point so why implement it?

Of course in Nikon's final manual focus SLR - the FM3A, they smartly left this feature out of it. They also smartly left the extra locking mechanism need to open the film back . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Right after I got my FM2N, I thought the meter was broken when I inadvertently set the shutter speed to B, which shut the meter off. With my F2S, the B setting is also the 2-second setting.

With the F3, why is that it locks any manual shutter speed above 1/80 before frame 1, but you can still go all the way down to 8 seconds? It seems more consistent with the idiot-proof design to lock shutter speeds slower than 1/80.

While we're at it, why not make the camera lock in at 1/80 in A mode, but change M mode to allow access to the full range of shutter speeds (and the damned meter)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at the electronics in the F3, probably due to the limitations of embedded control devices of the time?

Shooter
    35mm
    You mean the F3 doesn't have a Pentium processor on board? Unacceptable!

Shooter
    35mm
    Back then, the brain was in the photographers head and not in the camera . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    fstop, As you see from the quote, I was aware of the purpose of this idiot proof feature. Of course, anyone unaware of how a covered lens would affect aperture priority has already missed the point so why implement it?

Of course in Nikon's final manual focus SLR - the FM3A, they smartly left this feature out of it. They also smartly left the extra locking mechanism need to open the film back . . .
    My coment was somewhat tongue in cheek as FAs are coming out of closets and either the owner or the heir forgot or don't know how it works and dump them cheap.

How many ebay auctions start with "This was my father/mothers camera I dont know if it works"... or "its stuck on 250th"
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    They should have a tongue in cheek icon!

I'm with you as those simpler cameras are actually not so simple as it means more work on the photographer's side of the equation.

I've picked up a few of these bodies that were "jammed" but only needed fresh batteries - or batteries put in correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post

I think the point of the locked 1/80 has been somewhat forgotten. Nikon was really thinking about the danger of adding automation to their F line, and trying to avoid shooting themselves in the foot- a situation I can think of (one I've been in too many times) is shooting with flash in the dark, loading film by feel; if the camera just starts going in A mode right away, you could get into trouble; A is one of the locking spots on the dial after all (although so is X). Obviously everybody wants something different, but I like a predictable number of frames, so I know when I need to switch cameras or fit in a film change.

I also like the lock, when lots of bodies, bags & lenses are swinging around, it's insurance. I've opened the locked bodies so many times, I have to go through an extra little tic to open something like an FM now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Markster;1467852]Question about the shutter count: If a camera gets a full CLA, ought the odometer be reset to zero?

P.S. I'm still waiting for somebody to make that DIGITAL-MODUL-R for my Cannon AE-1P! It REALLY shouldn't be that hard. Even if the end result is $6000 USD like the Leica version.
    It really is that simple, and that awesome, and that important... and yet still lacking![/QUOTE

]
    For a company to research design manufacture and market a digital back for a camera that's been discontinued for more than 20 years that can be bought for buttons on e bay would be financial suicide, even Kodak wouldn't have thought of that one
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ....even Kodak wouldn't have thought of that one
    Bahahahhahahahaha!!!!!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin