Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,686   Online: 798

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Most of my old German SLRs have a locking shutter button. This seems so completely obvious, and so simple to incorporate into a design that my mind just boggles at the mystery of why so few cameras incorporate this feature.
    The shutter lock is the feature you use when you don't want to take a picture?

I get it. Spotmatic F I've been carrying around has a lock, and it's nice that my dog doesn't take pictures as much anymore. But it also means two-steps to take a picture, possibly missing the shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

I get it. Spotmatic F I've been carrying around has a lock, and it's nice that my dog doesn't take pictures as much anymore. But it also means two-steps to take a picture, possibly missing the shot.
    A shutter lock isn't really neccesary. Just don't advance the film until you are ready to make a picture.
    These are essential: Mirror lockup, and a simple one (like the Nikkormat FtN) that doesn't involve wasting a frame a la Nikon F. DoF preview. Pc socket(s).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by C.poulton View Post
    So does my M2

Christian
    I picked the wrong M then (M6). Well, no, we're very happy together

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    A shutter lock isn't really neccesary. Just don't advance the film until you are ready to make a picture.
    I'd rather flick the button over if I see something than have to wind on. Just easier to do. I am in the habit of keeping the camera ready, but sometimes that means putting the camera away with a cocked shutter. So the button lock is a useful feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    On my Exa, flipping the shutter lock with your thumb just before you press the shutter release with your finger is much faster than winding on is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I miss PC sockets. Hot shoes are fine if you want your flash on top of the camera and proprietary cables are ok if you only use one camera and one flash gun. Would be nice to be able to use all my flash guns (all three of them) on all my cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The holder for the end of the film box so you know what film is loaded in the camera. Especially useful if you have more than one camera loaded with different films.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    The holder for the end of the film box so you know what film is loaded in the camera. Especially useful if you have more than one camera loaded with different films.

Dave
    Yes, I miss that holder.
    Masking tape with magical marker just doesn't look as good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't bought a film camera in years. I work at a University and maintain video and camera gear. One reason they leave out some common sense features is to shave costs to make the product more competitive. As with new DSLRs and camcorders, more features are added through firmware to compete with other brands. Feature creep is peeve with me. There are more menus and submenus that bury the control that one needs. Chances are, I don't need "Happy people in disco" mode getting in the way of finding the auto bracketing feature. I say to camera designers, KISS and include common sense features.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    I'd rather flick the button over if I see something than have to wind on. Just easier to do. I am in the habit of keeping the camera ready, but sometimes that means putting the camera away with a cocked shutter. So the button lock is a useful feature.
    There has been some discussion whether storing a camera with shutter cocked is good or bad, depends on the model.

I like the idea of a shutter lock on the Spotmatic F, there are plenty times when I lost a frame unintentionally (even with the lock I have a dog shot on a roll of Plus-X hanging on the drying rack because I didn't use it). But, last time I had the camera out - it was in the locked state when I tried to take a picture. I know what to do to flick it over, but I lost the moment and I got a couple half-hearted shots.

Anyway, why did they leave the optical image stabilizer off the M2?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin