Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,786   Online: 780

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Built in adjustable diopter for eyepiece. Al my manual SLR's from 70's don't have them and getting correct diopter for my eyepiece is a pain. If you can't see, you can't focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

Film windows. So helpful when shooting lots of different cameras and films. Love the slits on the back for 35mm, and good slide open windows on 120/220 cameras(so you can see the backing paper type).

Centered tripod mounting holes under the lens at the film plane. So many have them on the right or left side that need a special bracket or grip attachment that has it in the center.

Spot meters, I wish all my cameras had them so I wouldn't have to carry my handheld one around.

I don't care much for the shutter locks but do use them when they are available. I try to not put away or store cameras with the shutters cocked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A film boxtop memo holder; whatever happened to these little things on cameras post-classics? The Olympus OM4 was a gem, even more so for this small, often overlooked little detail, completely missing on today's cameras.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i got double exposure all the time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    A film boxtop memo holder; whatever happened to these little things on cameras post-classics? The Olympus OM4 was a gem, even more so for this small, often overlooked little detail, completely missing on today's cameras.
    The cartridge window is what happened to them.
    My first 35mm camera, a Fujica ST 801, did not have a box end holder or window. A company was selling inexpensive self-adhesive holders, which were a thick piece of slightly translucent rather soft plastic folded over to make a clip, into which the box end was inserted. Worked great, but what I really liked was I stopped rubbing the skin off my nose on the rough leatherette.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

The "newest" film cameras from Canon/Nikon from the 1998-2005ish timeframe have all of these.

-Diopter
    -Shutter lock (which I agree is super useful if you have a camera bag or walk around all day with a camera on your shoulder, inevitably you hit that darn button)
    -film top holder (they don't often have that but mostly because the camera reads the DX codes and sets the ISO for you. [I agree still would be nice to have it]).
    -PC socket
    -30 second long exposure
    -Mirror lockup

I wish they had a programmable super long exposures like up to an hour, 30 seconds is not enough sometimes. (Still offer shutter release cable but prefer it in camera).

But more than anything... Time lapse... I don't for the life of me understand why they can't have an internal timer that allows for you to take an image every 10 minutes or 30 minutes or every hour, it would be easy to program. Drives me nuts....

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon cameras used to have shutter locks, separate from a switch that turned the meter on and off. Many people were confused by this arrangement; Canon eventually combined them into a power switch on the T-series and have never looked back. Mamiya 645 Pro TL has a circular switch around the shutter button on the body. The power grip also has a switch around its shutter button. I keep forgetting to turn one of them off, and I don't know which is necessary to keep the batteries from dying.

The film window in the camera back is a wonderful thing. My Canon F1 doesn't have one; I can't remember how many times I've had to remove the lens, set the shutter to bulb and fire the thing so I could peer inside just to see if it was loaded, nevermind with what. I was quite surprised last year when I picked up my Contax AX wanting to see what film was loaded and discovered it had no window! It also had no memo holder. Fortunately I happen to have a few of the last Hama memo holders floating around somewhere and was able to stick one on.

Ya know Stone, if you want time lapse, several cameras that came out in the 1990s also have intervalometers available. Good luck finding them, of course! There are also remote switches with timers built in, available on ebay, for those really long exposures. I considered that such a good idea that I bought a few a couple of years ago. They are still in their boxes, of course.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you standardise on film types, memo pockets are unnecessary. On my cameras 100 ISO means transparency, 200 equals colour print and 400 is black and white. If I deviate, it's on a camera with a rear window. Checking the rewind tensions tells me whether the camera is loaded.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Anyway, why did they leave the optical image stabilizer off the M2?
    Bill, I’ve often thought that. All those shots I could have got while diving through the air in front of the subject.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Mamiya 645 Pro TL has a circular switch around the shutter button on the body. The power grip also has a switch around its shutter button. I keep forgetting to turn one of them off, and I don't know which is necessary to keep the batteries from dying.
    Fred:

You probably need to lock both switches in order to prevent either one of them from being accidentally pressed when the camera is being handled or stored.

Otherwise, the camera itself prevents battery drain, by "timing out" automatically after a set period of time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin