Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,377   Online: 1116

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post

The film window in the camera back is a wonderful thing. My Canon F1 doesn't have one; I can't remember how many times I've had to remove the lens, set the shutter to bulb and fire the thing so I could peer inside just to see if it was loaded, nevermind with what.
    Well, there's another way to find that out: turn the rewind crank in reverse without pushing the button and if there's film in it, it will tighten up.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, there's another way to find that out: turn the rewind crank in reverse without pushing the button and if there's film in it, it will tighten up.
    Damn. Didn't know that. (slaps forehead)
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Damn. Didn't know that. (slaps forehead)
    It's a good tip that is for sure. Next time you wind the crank will turn backwards too.

But careful not to overdo this. You can kink the film and this leaves hard to diagnose marks on your slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that, Bill.

To clarify, I meant turn the crank in reverse to the way it turns when you're winding the film, therefore turn it the way it turns when rewinding.

What I should have said was: Without pushing the rewind button, carefully turn the rewind knob like you were rewinding, and if there's film loaded, it will start to tighten up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Thanks for that, Bill.

To clarify, I meant turn the crank in reverse to the way it turns when you're winding the film, therefore turn it the way it turns when rewinding.

What I should have said was: Without pushing the rewind button, carefully turn the rewind knob like you were rewinding, and if there's film loaded, it will start to tighten up.
    Right lxdude,

And to clarify... I had once taken this to the level of obsession, like a nervous tic, even though I knew film was loaded, I'd cinch the rewind practically every time I had the camera around my neck. I got all these dark crescent moon shaped stress marks in the skies of all my horizontal slides taken with 35mm lens on OM-4. When I stopped that habit the marks were less prevalent though still happened occasionally - I think I reduced the habit but still did it from time to time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Checking the rewind tensions tells me whether the camera is loaded
    ...and all people who know about and do this have in the past taken shots only to find the camera has no film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I had once taken this to the level of obsession, like a nervous tic, even though I knew film was loaded, I'd cinch the rewind practically every time I had the camera around my neck. I got all these dark crescent moon shaped stress marks in the skies of all my horizontal slides taken with 35mm lens on OM-4. When I stopped that habit the marks were less prevalent though still happened occasionally - I think I reduced the habit but still did it from time to time.
    I always liked having the film a little loose in there- the rewind knob would still turn, but if the knob got bumped while I was carrying the camera or something, there would be some rotational play. I had heard that cinching could cause scratches.
    It makes sense that the film could get pulled at a sharp angle inside from cinching, especially near the end of the roll, and leave marks. It seems to me that it would have been good for manufacturers to warn about cinching.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    ...and all people who know about and do this have in the past taken shots only to find the camera has no film.
    That certainly includes me.

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

I just look at the counter.... If its advanced more than like 5 images I know there is film for sure...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AE memory lock. Why oh WHY did Pentax leave this off almost all their auto exposure cameras? I think the very late P30 has it, but then it is DX code only with no override, which is worse.

This lack is the one thing that prevents my LX from being the absolutely superb machine it should be and otherwise is. Even my Ricoh XR-7 has it. I have to get around to replacing the light seals on that camera. It's a lightly built consumer grade mainly plastic camera but it's so well thought out I just love shooting with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin