Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,868   Online: 927

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i think it stinks they don't give a lifetime supply of film ( or at least a 100' bulk roll ! )
    free to whoever purchases a camera. otherwise i haven't been too annoyed
    with any of the missing options on my entropic memory boxes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    AE memory lock. Why oh WHY did Pentax leave this off almost all their auto exposure cameras? I think the very late P30 has it, but then it is DX code only with no override, which is worse.

This lack is the one thing that prevents my LX from being the absolutely superb machine it should be and otherwise is. Even my Ricoh XR-7 has it. I have to get around to replacing the light seals on that camera. It's a lightly built consumer grade mainly plastic camera but it's so well thought out I just love shooting with it.
    I never shoot on auto so I don't miss this too much, I can't recall ever using it, I don't even know how to set it on my camera lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I never shoot on auto so I don't miss this too much, I can't recall ever using it, I don't even know how to set it on my camera lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Well with my cameras that have it, it's more like a quick setting of the meter. I compose so as to meter the area I want to meter, tap the memory lock, and re-compose. Very fast, faster than twisting dials to light LEDs or match needles, with the same result.

If you don't want to ever use it don't get a camera that has it and try it then - it's addictive. I can shoot ALMOST as fast with my all manual MX or using my LX in manual mode - almost.

EDIT: Read your signature. I think the AE1 has it and I'm (almost) sure a 1V would.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Well with my cameras that have it, it's more like a quick setting of the meter. I compose so as to meter the area I want to meter, tap the memory lock, and re-compose. Very fast, faster than twisting dials to light LEDs or match needles, with the same result.

If you don't want to ever use it don't get a camera that has it and try it then - it's addictive. I can shoot ALMOST as fast with my all manual MX or using my LX in manual mode - almost.

EDIT: Read your signature. I think the AE1 has it and I'm (almost) sure a 1V would.
    1V certainly has it, I just don't know how to set it, it how to unset it, like I'm afraid if I push the AE Lock button I'll be stuck and then I can't UN-lock it, worse, I think it's locked but it's not. Either way, on film, I prefer not to try... I'm happy metering in manual or using my light meter

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually it only "locks" for one exposure so even if you decided not to take that one and didn't know how to unlock it you'd only lose one frame. On my XR-7 it's a handily positioned button on the upper left side near the lens mount. Push once to lock, again to unlock. Many cameras use a partial press of the shutter release. Press down half way and the indicator blinks to indicate lock, recompose and press the rest of the way to take the shot, or release to unlock. My 645 Pro AE Prism finder uses this method. It works well most of the time and is intuitive, but I prefer the separate button. Every now and then I push too far in trying to use the lock and shoot an ill-composed but well metered frame.

Seems a shame to me to have a 1V and only use it on manual. Don't get me wrong, I love manual cameras. I have an MX, a K1000, and Yashicamat 124 and a 4x5 field camera. But if I never wanted to use automation I'd just stick to all manual cameras and save the weight, complexity and need for batteries.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Usually it only "locks" for one exposure so even if you decided not to take that one and didn't know how to unlock it you'd only lose one frame. On my XR-7 it's a handily positioned button on the upper left side near the lens mount. Push once to lock, again to unlock. Many cameras use a partial press of the shutter release. Press down half way and the indicator blinks to indicate lock, recompose and press the rest of the way to take the shot, or release to unlock. My 645 Pro AE Prism finder uses this method. It works well most of the time and is intuitive, but I prefer the separate button. Every now and then I push too far in trying to use the lock and shoot an ill-composed but well metered frame.

Seems a shame to me to have a 1V and only use it on manual. Don't get me wrong, I love manual cameras. I have an MX, a K1000, and Yashicamat 124 and a 4x5 field camera. But if I never wanted to use automation I'd just stick to all manual cameras and save the weight, complexity and need for batteries.
    I use the 1V for fast autofocus situations, with 45 autofocus points, it's a dream, then I go back to my 9 points on my 5D Mk II and cry a little (though it broke in the hurricane so I'm crying in a different way now).

The accuracy of metering...

And also the lenses...

I just don't use the lock function, I just meter and recompose, it's basically what you do without the lock button.

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Bottle opener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A printed manual?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Exposure override in small cameras. Being a "simple" camera doesn't mean being a "stupid" camera.

The only real drawback of my beloved Yashica T3 is lack of exposure compensation of any kind (not even a stupid +1.5 EV button).

Lack of mirror lock-up on certain cameras, like the Minolta X-700, which would certainly deserve it.

Lack of a spare battery compartment on the shoulder strap. That should be mandatory on every electronic camera. It's like omitting the fuel reserve indicator in a car. There should be a law about it.

Lack of an ocular shutter on the shoulder strap (again extremely cheap and very useful).

Lack of use of proper light traps instead of felt gaskets. Felt will fail sooner or later. Light traps never fail and never require maintenance.

"Quick-load" mechanisms. They are fast, reliable, and make safer to load the camera while standing. With the traditional method I personally find that I have to sit somewhere and put the camera on my thighs as I feel I might drop it by mistake while performing the film load.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    Exposure override in small cameras. Being a "simple" camera doesn't mean being a "stupid" camera.

The only real drawback of my beloved Yashica T3 is lack of exposure compensation of any kind (not even a stupid +1.5 EV button).

Lack of mirror lock-up on certain cameras, like the Minolta X-700, which would certainly deserve it.

Lack of a spare battery compartment on the shoulder strap. That should be mandatory on every electronic camera. It's like omitting the fuel reserve indicator in a car. There should be a law about it.

Lack of an ocular shutter on the shoulder strap (again extremely cheap and very useful).

Lack of use of proper light traps instead of felt gaskets. Felt will fail sooner or later. Light traps never fail and never require maintenance.

"Quick-load" mechanisms. They are fast, reliable, and make safer to load the camera while standing. With the traditional method I personally find that I have to sit somewhere and put the camera on my thighs as I feel I might drop it by mistake while performing the film load.
    Totally agree about the spare battery, heck it should be a compartment in the camera itself!

Mamiya and canon use light traps and rubber seals for light and dust/moisture in their later film cameras ...

What is an optical shutter?

~Stone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin