Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,706   Online: 965

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

What is an optical shutter?

~Stone
    Ocular, not optical. Ocular = eyepiece; a small piece to go over the eyepiece of an automatic camera (when it isn't covered by your eye, say on a tripod) to prevent light getting in and causing incorrect metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Ocular, not optical. Ocular = eyepiece; a small piece to go over the eyepiece of an automatic camera (when it isn't covered by your eye) to prevent light getting in and causing incorrect metering.
    Some cameras have a shutter that can be moved in and out of place via a small lever on the camera body. The AE Prism finder on my Mamiya 645 Pro has this. The only use I'm aware of for it, though, is when using automatic exposure shooting off a tripod, and on a tripod I use manual settings almost exclusively. I don't think I've ever actually used one of these, of either type. Just goes to show - one person's "I have them but have never used them" is another's "must have."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Some cameras have a shutter that can be moved in and out of place via a small lever on the camera body. The AE Prism finder on my Mamiya 645 Pro has this. The only use I'm aware of for it, though, is when using automatic exposure shooting off a tripod, and on a tripod I use manual settings almost exclusively. I don't think I've ever actually used one of these, of either type. Just goes to show - one person's "I have them but have never used them" is another's "must have."
    Some cameras came with a little widget that clipped over the eyepice.

When I use my old Nikons, if I'm using the internal meter with the camera on a tripod I just hold my left thumb on the eyepiece while setting the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've seen those. They're such utterly losable little things, with what seems to me minimal utility, that I always wondered why they bothered. But Fabrizio considers them important, and of course there's no disagreement with what someone else finds useful. Just goes to show about tastes and styles.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have a Nikon F2AS and currently an F3HP and F5 and all of them have the viewfinder blind and I never used them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Stupid things Camera Companies leave out...

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Ocular, not optical. Ocular = eyepiece; a small piece to go over the eyepiece of an automatic camera (when it isn't covered by your eye, say on a tripod) to prevent light getting in and causing incorrect metering.
    OH yea canon cameras come with those STILL even the new ones. It's a little rubber thing you can attach to the camera strap, it's cheap but effective when needed, and again, the 1V actually has a metal shutter blade bulky into the camera to shut light out for long exposures.

Don't think my Mamiya had one though, however I'm not often doing super long exposures with that.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Pentax ESII had two automatic settings, one that blacks out the finder.

Also the cases that came with Pentax Spotmatics has a little pouch for batteries.

Both nice touches...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The "newest" film cameras from Canon/Nikon from the 1998-2005ish timeframe have all of these.

-Diopter
    -Shutter lock (which I agree is super useful if you have a camera bag or walk around all day with a camera on your shoulder, inevitably you hit that darn button)
    -film top holder (they don't often have that but mostly because the camera reads the DX codes and sets the ISO for you. [I agree still would be nice to have it]).
    -PC socket
    -30 second long exposure
    -Mirror lockup

I wish they had a programmable super long exposures like up to an hour, 30 seconds is not enough sometimes. (Still offer shutter release cable but prefer it in camera).

But more than anything... Time lapse... I don't for the life of me understand why they can't have an internal timer that allows for you to take an image every 10 minutes or 30 minutes or every hour, it would be easy to program. Drives me nuts....

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The F6 has all of these.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah, I've seen those. They're such utterly losable little things, with what seems to me minimal utility, that I always wondered why they bothered. But Fabrizio considers them important, and of course there's no disagreement with what someone else finds useful. Just goes to show about tastes and styles.
    I have one Roger that came with my Canon EF, they actually had 2 slots on them to fasten them on the camera strap, most consumers who bought the cameras they were supplied with didn't know what they were for in those days, and threw them away .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eyepiece shutter - little plastic/rubber widget... I've got 'em, I've never used 'em. If I'm going to take the time and trouble to set my camera up on a tripod and attach a remote cable, I'm also going to set it to Manual and use an external light meter.

I almost died laughing when I first saw the hot shoe cover/eyepiece blind/battery door lever that came with a friend's A-1. He broke one of the two tiny tabs that hold it onto the eyepiece, rendering it unusable, so he threw it away. A few years later he was wondering why they made the battery door so hard to get open.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin