Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 894

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F100 center AF spot problem

My F100's center focus spot seems to be nearly blind. I have started noticing many situations in which one of the outer sensors (usually the right or left ones) can lock focus easily, but the center sensor, when placed over the exact same part of the scene, will hunt several times and sometimes refuse to lock focus at all.

I've tested this with nice, high-contrast (of both brightness and focus depth) targets, in all kinds of lighting, and the behavior seems to be consistent. I have tested it with a 20-35/2.8 AF-D and a 50/1.4 AF with the same results, as well as a manual-focus 300/4.5 Ai lens—so it's definitely the body.

Is this a known issue? Can it be calibrated somehow, or is this indicative of a failing autofocus sensor module?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F100 center AF spot problem

I had same problem with a Nikon d***** body brand new out of the box. Turned out the AF sensor was dusty apparently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's common for junk to get down into the AF area, it's pretty easy to clean up.

Shooter
    35mm
    It worked! A Q-tip and some Windex and she's right as rain! Thanks for the help, y'all!
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin