Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,951   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: olympus om-2n

Shooter
    35mm

olympus om-2n

Hi!is the olympus om-2n a silent camera?...problems with vibration with shutter or not?
    thanks regards

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not silent but pretty quiet as SLRs go. Air damped mirror mechanism helps. Certainly no problems with vibration.

Shooter
    35mm
    Silent - no but no niosier than similar cameras from that era. Vibration again the same as the silent question, however on most SLR's the vibratory period is AFTER the shutter has fired and the mirror coming down to collide with the base is what you feel as 'vibration'. It is insignificant and does not affect the image at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
    Hi!is the olympus om-2n a silent camera?...problems with vibration with shutter or not?
    thanks regards
    Silent? Of course not. It is quiet though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OMs are along with the Leicaflexes probably the quietest of the manual wind SLRs. (The Canon Elan 7 is quite quiet -- really very impressive.) In the case of the OMs it's the damping described above, in conjunction with a cloth shutter. Definitely not silent, however.

Shooter
    35mm
    Silent. Quiet. Noisy. ?

Depends on the circumstances of course. A church during a quiet moment is never suitable for an slr, though a big heavy Contax RTSIII is relatively quiet. Good shutter damping and mass count for something. It's the quietest slr I know.

Shooter
    127 Format
    If you want really quiet, shoot an OM-1 with its mirror locked up.

Many times I shot an OM-1 this way with a 28mm, scale focused. Shoot from the hip. Point and pray - crop later. Great for museums.

Also using a leather half-case helps a lot.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    If you want really quiet, shoot an OM-1 with its mirror locked up.

Many times I shot an OM-1 this way with a 28mm, scale focused. Shoot from the hip. Point and pray - crop later. Great for museums.

Also using a leather half-case helps a lot.

Thanks!...is the OM-1 more "silenter" than the OM-2 ?
    Really?
    ciao

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters8 View Post
    Thanks!...is the OM-1 more "silenter" than the OM-2 ?
    Really?
    ciao
    as "silent" in English seems to mean "being without any noise" this can not be. But, as far as I can hear, both 1 and 2 are at about the same noise level.

Ulrich
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 11-08-2012 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

olympus om-2n

Ya, my OM 1 and 2 have about the same amount of 'silencieness' (since we are making up words).

I think it is a relatively quiet slr - louder than rangefinders, but near-silent when compared with the Pentax 67 I get to play with - but I sounds like you are reloading a canon when it goes off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin