Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Longest F3 exposure?

I know the Nikon F3 can do a max of 8 sec. when on manual, but what is the max. on Auto? Isn't it something like 30 min?

thanks,

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F3 has a T setting, this allows you to keep the shutter open until you turn the dial off T.

T stands for Time.

I don't know what the longest auto shutter speed would be, but that would also depend upon the ASA setting and aperture setting you have set. I don't ever remember ever requiring anything like a 30 minute exposure on auto, which is aperture priority in that camera.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    most aperture priority cameras like the F 3 make much longer long time exposures than specified. But in such low light situations the linearity of the exposure is no longer guaranteed. You have to compensate for the so called Schwarzschild-Effekt and the camera does not know the algorithm for your film. Some cameras like the OM 2n stop after 2 minutes, others do not close the shutter again and wait for the exhaustion of the battery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine would do exposures as long as 35 minutes on A. It's an analog feedback circuit, so until the right number of photons are collected by the metering cell or the battery runs out, it will keep the shutter open.

I believe the F5 will do this as well; anyone care to chime in on that?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Mine would do exposures as long as 35 minutes on A. It's an analog feedback circuit, so until the right number of photons are collected by the metering cell or the battery runs out, it will keep the shutter open.

I believe the F5 will do this as well; anyone care to chime in on that?
    How long the F3 would do an exposure on A varying between cameras and I would not use it that way, not pass the 8 sec. With such low light level the meter doesn't have enough light to make a good reading any way. Unlike the Oly the F3 is a sample and hold camera that is it would take the light measurement and use that value for the exposure. If you don't think so, with the camera on A, release the shutter with the lens cap on, open the lens cap and shine bright light thru it. The shutter won't close. But if you do this on the Olympus OM-2 the shutter would close right away.

I have to check the F5, although you can manually set the shutter speed to 30 minutes, I think the F5 would simply quit working on A if the light level is too low.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I always wondered why there was never a camera that could be programmed to know the reciprocity failure times for different films, Maybe that'll be a feature of the F7?

Shooter
    35mm
    With the lens cap on my F3HP only does 40 seconds exposure on A. I will check my F5 after I have the battery charged up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    I always wondered why there was never a camera that could be programmed to know the reciprocity failure times for different films, Maybe that'll be a feature of the F7?
    Could you make up a program that would compensate for reciprocity failure or if you know the algorithm to do so? I know it can be done but I personally don't know where to start.

Shooter
    35mm
    My F5 when on A and with lens cap on it only does 20 seconds.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Weak! My FE went to 7.5 minutes once and was dead on. I thought the F3 was supposed to be superior!
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin