Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,182   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Multi Format

UK OM service + 90/2 macro question

Hi,

Can someone recommend a place to get an OM-1 CLA'd in the UK? Nothing wrong with mine but I'd like to keep it that way!

Also, I'm looking at buying a macro. In the past I had a Tamron 90/2.8 AF for my EOS system which I really liked. That was long gone but I'm now thinking either to get another one of those or perhaps look for a macro for my OM-1, as I could also use it with an adaptor on EOS. The OM 90/2 caught my attention but it costs more than a new Tamron 90 AF. Does anyone have experience with both?? I am more interested in close-up portraits, not so much actual macro performance, so say something in the 1:15-1:4 range. The other option is the old adaptall Tamron 90/2.5 which costs very little and if it is anything like the AF one I'd be quite happy. Any suggestions between these 3 lenses (Tamron 90/2.8 AF, 90/2.5 adaptall and 90/2) will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 adaptall is a dandy. My preference is for the one which takes 49mm filters. I also ahev the Olympus 90mm f2, however for portraits my go to is the Olympus 85mm f2. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also an OM service on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAIR-SER...item1e73581a6e

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The ebay link is the same guy - Mike Spencer at http://www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk/. He's had 3 of my OMs for re-foam and CLA - 2 x OM2 and an OM1. he converts the OM1's to take SR44 cells. Good service - has always taken no more than 2 weeks or thereabouts to turn around, and he doesn't expect you to pay until you get the camera back. On my OM2n a little while after he had had it for a CLA, the self-timer stopped pulling the shutter all the way down to fire it (it worked when the camera was returned). I sent it back to Mike and he insisted on sorting it FOC under his warranty, even though I am not sure it was related to the CLA at all. I insisted on covering his extra time. Old school and reliable. I can thoroughly recommend him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the OM 90/2 is widely considered by most to be the best 90mm macro (or 90mm in general) available for nearly any mount in 35mm. I had one for a while, and greatly enjoyed it. Can't go wrong with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will check his services.

Still thinking about the 90/2, quite tempting...
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    OM's deserve to be used with Zuiko glass. The Zuiko 90 is not just a "good" lens, it is a legendary lens. It is not small by Olympus standards, but still compact compared to other manufactures. The pictures from it are remarkable. Wear gloves when handling them, so you don't cut yourself.

You might want check with John Foster over at www.biofos.com for suggestions on getting your OM serviced in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a follow up, I sent Michael Spencer my OM-1 and a sticky 135/3.5 for servicing, they came back as good as new and he modified the OM1 to take SR44 batteries and changed the meter circuit to compensate. I'll certainly be using his services again!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin