Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,407   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

asahi pentax spotmatic sp

Hi! what about this camera?
    positive and negative features...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All time classic, you can't go wrong with a Spotmatic & a Takumar lens!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks.
    is the photometer good?...is the mirror movement silent?thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spottys are a good basic camera ,solid without lots of bells and whistlesto get in the way. There are lots of great M42 lens's out there. Really from my standpoint the only drawback to spotmatics now are the stopdown metering and the fact that at their age you can figure there is a good chance the shutter could be a little slow and need a cla. From your standpoint the spotty suffers from a loud mirror slap well normal for pentax loud for other brands lol. when I was looking for an slr a few months back I was primarily looking at spottys till I saw a km at a great price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Decent tough basic camera for daylight field use. Forget the 1/1000 and 1/500 speeds, those are usually busted (too slow and/or overlapping curtains). Meter is good enough for negative film, analogue potentiometer exposure indicator is absolute joy to use compared to newer led indicators.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have had a few of the classic Pentax models from a S1a right up to a ES11 and all have been good cameras. Dated now, but there is little to go wrong with them in the electrics department and can be considered very reliable. They were comfortable to hold and they lived up to their advertising slogan in the 70's which was 'Just hold a Pentax'. And they lived up to what they were suggesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a $75 CLA and it should be good as new. Otherwise there will be problems. Great camera. Much better build than a K1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Spotmatics weren't particularly quiet shutters, I've a couple an SP and an SP F plus an SIa I bought for £1

The fast shutter speeds are fine on all 3 cameras.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi , decided i wanted to add a bit more to my earlier post . Knowing mirror slap volume is an issue for you perhaps you should consider a rangefinder no mirror slap and if you get one with a leaf shutter it's literally whisper quiet something like a yashica gsn. If you do go for a spotmatic eric at pentaxs.com is the go to man for pentaxs great work for great price on cla's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The fast shutter speeds are fine on all 3 cameras.
    Odd, I must have had especially bad luck then. All my 4 or 5 SP/SP500/SP1000/II have issues with fast speeds. Not a problem for me actually, usually running 1/15-1/125 anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin