Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,429   Online: 800

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon FD glass

Shooter
    35mm
    The other big advantage of using older gear:

If you buy a lens or camera and don't get on with it then you can probably sell it on for at least what you paid (assuming you didn't pay over the odds). You may even make more as you'll presumably have film tested the camera, which will put it ahead of most of the others on ebay.

In short, if it grabs your interest and the price is good then go for it.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Come on, you don't need to be insulting -- he's a Leica guy and entitled to his opinion (though the Mini Zoom arguably IS a "tourist camera"!). But I agree, Canon FD lenses are superb, and no duds whatsoever among the group he's considering. I would say 24 or 28 - 50 - 100 (or 135) will make a nice set. It's the old 35 vs. 28 question, and my reaction is that a 35 is the best choice if limited to only one lens. But it's a compromise.

I chuckled a bit when the orginal poster said he's not going for "super speed" -- but for 24 or 28, an f2 is quite fast (and not really necessary) -- stick with the 24/2.8 or 28/2.8 (both fine lenses) and save some money. The original poster didn't indicate which camera body he's got or plans to get, so I'll be interested to hear his thinking there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not have any camera. I have an OM but I feel that it is a bit too small. I handled a new F1 and I like it but I think I might opt for the old one because I want mirror lock up and do not care about a meter. I just want a simple, rugged, mechanical camera with glass that is relatively inexpensive and available. Pentax/Minolta/Konica seems harder to find. Nikon and Canon come to mind and since I have no incentive in going digital I was thinking Nikon non-Ai or Canon FD. I'm just exploring the Canon Option.

I guess f2 aperture is quite fast but what I meant is that I'm not really looking for any L glass which is much more expensive, larger, and fast. e.g. 24mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    I do not have any camera. I have an OM but I feel that it is a bit too small. I handled a new F1 and I like it but I think I might opt for the old one because I want mirror lock up and do not care about a meter. I just want a simple, rugged, mechanical camera with glass that is relatively inexpensive and available. Pentax/Minolta/Konica seems harder to find. Nikon and Canon come to mind and since I have no incentive in going digital I was thinking Nikon non-Ai or Canon FD. I'm just exploring the Canon Option.

I guess f2 aperture is quite fast but what I meant is that I'm not really looking for any L glass which is much more expensive, larger, and fast. e.g. 24mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, etc.
    My personal setup is 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, 135mm f/3.5 and a 70-210 f/4. All are sharp, contrasty and well made. Just as an aside, I have shot FD Canon's since 1977 when the police department I worked for bought AE-1's for basic crime scene photography. I have found FD to be way more than a "tourist camera". If you are interested - you can see some of my results for Canon FD in my gallery. The link here is a shot with the 70-210mm at 210mm. I wanted to compress the scene and the telephoto made that happen.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=46549
    Last edited by David Goldstein; 11-14-2012 at 07:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link
    --
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax and Minolta really aren't that hard to find, although the fact that all K lenses will fit their DSLRs (and the final design of Minolta mount fits Sony DSLRs) tends to push prices up a bit.

TBH it comes down to design philosophy and how you use the camera. Different brands took different approaches, it's up to you to find the best fit.
    Matt

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the past I shot with Nikon, Konica, and Leica. I sill shoot with Pentex, Sigma and Konica. Last year a bought a T90 and a set of FD primes. Canon glass is very good, the FD lens are as good as any of the times including Nikon and Leica. I sold my canon kit only because I had too many camers.

Shooter
    35mm
    The other thing to try with that OM (assuming that it does everything else you want) - look for the matching winder.

A motor winder can often make a small camera much easier to get on with. I nearly always use one with Pentax M series bodies as they just give you a bit more to hang onto and better balance with larger lenses.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do photographers worry so much about the quality of their hardware ?, when they should worry much more about if their work is good enough to justify owning the equipment.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Why do photographers worry so much about the quality of their hardware ?, when they should worry much more about if their work is good enough to justify owning the equipment.
    Ah!..... but with a very good:- lens, film (and it's properly developed) and camera body (working properly)....if you get poor results you have only yourself to blame

Shooter
    35mm
    Because nobody gets the best results they're capable of if they're fighting awkward poor quality kit all the way.

I also rather resent the implication that people should somehow only be "allowed" top spec cameras if they've been deemed worthy of them!
    Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin