Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,934   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have used both the OM-2n and OM-4ti for night photography using available light with exposures of up to 15 minutes and have never had a problem. The OM-1 which has a mirror lock up should theoretically be even better so I can't foresee that you will have any issues.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Diaphragm vibrations"? Good lord. Is the mirror/shutter silent? That's another one making the rounds.

Where do these questions come from? Is there a room full of obsessive-compulsive worry warts somewhere?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember reading a post such as this some time ago online. I think that some people without much knowledge or experience will post nonsense like this on the internet and then other people will find it later and worry about imaginary problems.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    "Diaphragm vibrations"? Good lord. Is the mirror/shutter silent? That's another one making the rounds.

Where do these questions come from? Is there a room full of obsessive-compulsive worry warts somewhere?

I didn't even know there was such a thing. Reminds me of pixel peepers in the digital crowd. OMs are a joy to use, I can handheld it at 1/15th with acceptable results. Your going to use a tripod so 1/8 is no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe I have seen references to this before, but it was in the context of extreme macro-photography.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I think there is something to it. Have a look at Gary Reese's lenstests of Oly lenses (the 100mm 2.8 e.g.); it seems to me that the body used for the test can influence the outcome. You can find the tests at zone-10.com .
    Cheers, Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jajong View Post
    Well I think there is something to it. Have a look at Gary Reese's lenstests of Oly lenses (the 100mm 2.8 e.g.); it seems to me that the body used for the test can influence the outcome. You can find the tests at zone-10.com .
    Cheers, Jan
    Yes, you can find the tests. But are the tests any good? What were the protocols? I routinely take pictures of watch parts as I make them, I know a thing or two about macro- verging on micro- photography of very small things that have to have critically sharp images made of them. On every camera I've used, locking up the mirror closes the diaphragm. If you're trying to take macro photographs without locking up the mirror, of course there will be vibrations and the attendant image degradation. I'd like to see the photographer who can distinguish between mirror and diaphragm vibration.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 11-14-2012 at 12:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    At any rate, with the om-1 you can lift the mirror, but the diaphragm closes when the shutter goes off. The point I tried to make is that in Reese's tests there is a different outcome for the same lens (!) and different bodies. An om-1 was used and an om-2000, which has diaphragm prefire (in the 100mm 2.0 test; me bad).
    Cheers, Jan

Shooter
    35mm

Yep, there must be. It's next to the room where all the Leica digital M users are.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I'm right. The world has gone mad. I use OM - 2,2n and 4Ti bodies with lenses from 28 - 300mm.+1.4 converter. The OM system was introduced to be largely handheld. The last thing I would consider is diaphragm vibration, but if in dought, use a GOOD tripod.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin