Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,414   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OM users: how bad are the diaphragm vibrations?

My intention is to use my OM1 for tripod work. I read that a big vibration offender for OM's is the aperture stop-down mechanism which initiates right before the shutter goes off, regardless if MLU is used.

Anyone notice this to be a problem? Well, i guess it depends on my demands..

I'm interested mostly in 28mm-100mm focal lengths and the longest shutter speed would probably be 1/8s. This is for available light portraits, so not that high of a magnification.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot with one for about 15 years and never even noticed this "issue". The prime lenses are tiny do how much could it be? The only issue is that the foam needs to be changed at come point....mirror damper, prism, film door.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The one filed of photography where vibration matters is astronomy. AFAIK in its time the OM1 had been the camera of choice for this kind of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    The one filed of photography where vibration matters is astronomy. AFAIK in its time the OM1 had been the camera of choice for this kind of thing.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the lens apertures are used in that field.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never heard of complaints about the OM aperture or shutter vibrations. OM's are some of the best in this catagory.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    The apertures of lenses for the OM series of cameras all seem to operate in the opposite way to say Nikon, Pentax or Minolta in that when the shutter is released the apperture pin moves away from the apperture mechanism which is them closed by a spring. With the others the pin moves against the aperture pin so forcing the lens to close down.

I would have thought that the OM method would give rise to less vibration than the others. For what it's worth, I never had a problem with OM cameras and vibration anyway. What I did find though was the diaphragms of OM lenses were more prone to becoming 'lazy' and slow to close

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen this many times on the net. Apparently the way to solve this problem is to use a body with aperture pre-fire. I know my OM4 does this on self timer mode, it fires the aperture at the start of the time so any vibration has gone by the time the shutter fires.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I don't understand the problem at all:

If one uses a camera on tripod there is usually time enough to operate a camera fully manual (metering, time and aperture setting).
    As the OM-1 has the feature of closing down the diaphragm independant of releasing the shutter, via the DOF-control knob at the lens, employing this should avoid any vibration issue caused by the diaphragm proper.
    There still might be other sources of vibration though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    msbarnes wrote: "Anyone notice this to be a problem?"

1 answer: no. If it were the case, it would mean that all other parameters source of vibration were mastered and even at this point, I wonder if it could be measurable...
    Last edited by Dali; 11-14-2012 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure a problem (if present) with aperture actuation would be in entirely in the lens. The body has the aperture coupling mechanism that is moving very fast. This moving mass could have an effect even if the lens is pre-stopped down. I've shot with OM-1 cameras for years but mostly hand held so I have little experience with tripod use. I have a notion that any problem with resolution at slow shutter speeds would be due to subject motion and not camera vibration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin