Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,783   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    I just fired my FM and an FE, and they sound identical at 1/15 a second shutter speed. And, the self timer activates the mirror lock-up on the FM, FE and FE-2.
    I think I could hear the differences in sound at 1/15. Of course at lower speeds it would be clearly different. The FM would have the timing sound while the FE does not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Ah, quite possibly. I keep thinking of the cameras as twins - but they aren't as the FE has an electronic shutter.

The mirror and shutter sounds can be separated with the self timer as mirror/buzz/shutter. How do they compare then?

Hmmm. I don't believe that FE has an electronic shutter. I am pretty sure (actually, I'm certain) that the shutter in the FE is mechanical. I think that it is the same shutter mechanism as the FM. The FE2, however, has an electronic shutter. The predominant difference between the FE and FM is the FE's auto exposure mode. I don't have an FM any longer, but I have 2 FEs and an FE2 and I can snap the FE shutter just fine without a battery in it. At any shutter speed to boot. The FE2 (just like my FG) must be set to M90 or B to release the shutter without a battery.
    Last edited by terryw; 11-23-2012 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Sorry, meant to quote Nicholas

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by terryw View Post
    Hmmm. I don't believe that FE has an electronic shutter. I am pretty sure (actually, I'm certain) that the shutter in the FE is mechanical. I think that it is the same shutter mechanism as the FM. The FE2, however, has an electronic shutter. The predominant difference between the FE and FM is the FE's auto exposure mode. I don't have an FM any longer, but I have 2 FEs and an FE2 and I can snap the FE shutter just fine without a battery in it. At any shutter speed to boot. The FE2 (just like my FG) must be set to M90 or B to release the shutter without a battery.
    Sorry, Nicholas. I have to correct myself. My post caused me to want to make sure of myself. So, I went off to do a test. My black FE body would raise the mirror, but only fire correctly in M90 and B without a battery. But, my chrome FE would fire at any shutter speed. That is, until I discovered an "offender" in the battery compartment. After removing the offending battery, the chrome body behaved the same as its sibling.

I am corrected.

tw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, All of them have a mechanical shutter, but not the same shutter. Some(FE,FE2,F3 etc.) have Electronically controlled timing circuits. The electronic variety uses coils to control the timing.

The one thing they all have in common is that they are released by the mirror reaching the top of it's travel and releasing a lever actuator.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin