Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FE/FM/FM2/FE2/FA - Mirror Vibration?

So I always assumed they were all exactly the same, minus the timing mechanism, but I noticed the FE has a much better mirror damping system? (or at least the shutter/mirror is quieter?)

Is this your experience or is my FM dying?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a foam strip that stops the mirror at the end of its travel.

The foam has probably gone rotten and needs to be replaced. Might as well check the light seal foam - the foam in the channels around the back - as it has probably gone as well.

You can get re-foaming kits or you can order a sheet of foam - enough for several hundred cameras - from Microtools.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I had just redone the foam
    On the FM, it clacks with authority, but on the FE, it merely pops and clicks

Shooter
    35mm
    I won't pretend to have first-hand knowledge of the precise dampening mechanisms amongst the various bodies but have read (Nikon source and reliable 3rd party) that the FE2 has improved dampening over that of the FE. But that's exactly what one would expect from the 'new and improved' model, no?

Shooter
    35mm
    When using longer shutter speeds with those cameras, I use the self timer. That activates the mirror lock-up mechanism.

Russ

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So I always assumed they were all exactly the same, minus the timing mechanism, but I noticed the FE has a much better mirror damping system? (or at least the shutter/mirror is quieter?)

Is this your experience or is my FM dying?
    That was my impression too. After I read your post I compared the two cameras and even recorded their shutter sound. Turned out they are almost the same except FE has chime-like sound at the end. On both cameras I used Nikkor 24mm at F22.

Shooter
    35mm
    Activate the self timer, and all of your "mirror slap, vibration" issues will be resolved. Also, Nikon did a very nice job of dampening the mirror vibration issue on the F-100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    On the FM, it clacks with authority, but on the FE, it merely pops and clicks
    Ah, quite possibly. I keep thinking of the cameras as twins - but they aren't as the FE has an electronic shutter.

The mirror and shutter sounds can be separated with the self timer as mirror/buzz/shutter. How do they compare then?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Ah, quite possibly. I keep thinking of the cameras as twins - but they aren't as the FE has an electronic shutter.

The mirror and shutter sounds can be separated with the self timer as mirror/buzz/shutter. How do they compare then?

I just fired my FM and an FE, and they sound identical at 1/15 a second shutter speed. And, the self timer activates the mirror lock-up on the FM, FE and FE-2.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    That was my impression too. After I read your post I compared the two cameras and even recorded their shutter sound. Turned out they are almost the same except FE has chime-like sound at the end. On both cameras I used Nikkor 24mm at F22.
    Ha, my F2 makes that chime sound. But it does it even with the mirror locked up, which makes me think the sound comes from the shutter, rather than the mirror. I wanted to fire my FM2 to remind me of what it sounds like, but it has IR film in it right now.

I agree with Kiron Kid about the self-timer on the FM/FEs-- it's so convenient, it doesn't make sense not to use it when working with a tripod. That said, my photos have never shown signs of mirror vibration with my FM2 (I don't have experience with the FM), either with long lenses on a tripod, or hand-held at 1/15" (or slower). Mirror vibration issues commonly reveal themselves as "double-images" on film, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin