Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,637   Online: 893

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FA - Depth of Field Preview lever stuck

Hi everyone. Didn't see a forum for repair and such, so I hope this isn't the wrong place.

I just got an FA on ebay, and the DOF preview lever is stuck. Very stuck. I haven't found much info about this other than Ken Rockwell saying to be careful about getting one with it stuck and that it probably means the Aperture control pin is stuck and that it will probably only shoot wide open, and another thread where it was mentioned to try dry grease or lighter fluid (which I haven't picked up yet to try.)

Just thought I'd check and see if anyone had experience with this - either on a Nikon or anything else, it's probably somewhat similar on other manufacturers I would assume.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you return it? That would be my first step.
    I don't have experience with FA but for FM or FE the DOF mechanism sits behind lens mount base. If you are familiar with small screws, shims, spring etc then you might be able to open the lens mount base. If not then try poke on the gap between lever and lens mount with stick and some very very small amount of lubricant.

Shooter
    35mm
    The seller offered to let me return it, or to give me partial refund. I took a partial refund as it came with a 50mm lens which I planned to use on my d200. Figure I may as well try to fix it, if I can't, then I'll just try for another (next time I'll just spend more for one that's been CLA'd)

Shooter
    35mm
    I would get the partial refund, and then contact Garry at Garry's Camera Repair. He has overhauled several FMs, FM2, FEs and F3 for me. Has done really good work, with a quick turn-around, and VERY reasonable cost, around $50 if I recall correctly. You will then have a nice body with a CLA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, About 2 weeks ago I finally sent the camera to Garry. He wasn't able to fix the DOF lever. He was pretty sure the screw was too rusted for him to remove without breaking it off. He did some other repairs though, and a CLA. Just got it back on my lunch break, haven't had a chance to really look it over, but a quick glance looks pretty good. Stinks he couldn't fix the DOF preview, but I suppose I'll live. The foam was in awful condition anyway and it was unusable without new foam. Before sending it I clicked the shutter a few times with a lens on and the deteriorating mirror foam left bits of crud on the lens, and I'm sure would've on the film as well.

Will probably send my FE to him eventually (and maybe FM) as well, after checking over the FA a bit better and using it. Right now, seems like a good price for good, quick service.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin