Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,336   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toan View Post
    I've been using PX625A batteries for many years with no issues.
    The metering error is very small... insignificant when I was using 1.5v cells.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had mine re-calibrated for the 1.5v Silver Oxide batt's.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the GIII and the 625 fit. But according to the picture from the op the battery is PX-1a form factor. and the op has the original QL17 not GIII

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good reading on the mercury cell issue and solutions to it would be this text by Frans de Gruijter:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I have the GIII and the 625 fit. But according to the picture from the op the battery is PX-1a form factor. and the op has the original QL17 not GIII
    I think you are correct. Visually, the PX1A form factor looks identical. And I have now found a few references, such as this one by Kim Coxon on the RFF (3rd post down), referring to the earliest Canonet QL samples using this battery before the switch to PX625 mercury cells was made.

Ken

[Edit: Here is an MR-50 voltage-reducing adapter designed to convert an inexpensive 357 silver cell wristwatch battery into a 1.35-volt form-correct replacement for the PX1A mercury cell.]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-18-2012 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two Minolta SrT with a modification performed by a technician to make them work properly with ordinary 1.5V silver cells. Very nice and dandy, but you have to send the camera to a technician (this work was performed during a general CLA for both).

I am a satisfied customer of Frans de Gruijter and consider his solution to be the best overall one, being cheap and practical.

And by the way, welcome to APUG!
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There were 3 versions of the Canon QL17. Yours is the earliest version. The canon museum page lists it as a 1.3v MP mercury cell, but ive also seen a similar battery listed as a PX-640, which is about double the size of the usual PX625's, but still 1.3v. So a Wein zinc-air cell will work, but you will need a adapter or something to fill in the gap. A wad of aluminum foil will work, or a spring. A 1.5 volt silver oxide or alkaline will work as well, but you will need to adjust the ISO by about half a stop.

Either way, do not stack two 1.3 or 1.5v batteries together, you will not get the correct voltage.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again everybody. This is great info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin