Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,137   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon Canonet QL17

Hi Everyone,
    I have been getting back in to film over the past year and I have been lurking here recently.
    I have been interested in the Canon Canonet QL17 and have been watching them on ebay. Well today I acquired one from my Father-in-Law, that he said he had purchased in Japan in 1966. It appears to be the original model with a 45mm 1.7 lens. The camera seems to function properly (I will run a roll of film through it tomorrow to see what I get). I have been online all day researching it and most of the info I have come up with deals with the giii which seems to be very similar but with a few changes - mostly the lens (40mm vs 45mm) and the battery.
    I am looking for info on the battery as it seems very different from the type used in the giii. The battery door says 1.3v which I believe is the same as the giii and the battery from the camera doesn't have any info on it other then a patent #. I have posted some pictures here (sorry taken with my iphone) including the battery that I pulled out of the camera. Any help regarding the battery or any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG (2).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	496.2 KB 
ID:	59892

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG (2).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	59893
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0136.JPG (2).jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    according to the photo, I think the battery you have is LR-50 or PX-1. But the manual said it needs 625 or PX-13. Of course any of these battery would have wrong voltage and might cause wrong exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the modern 1.5v batteries are, LR-50...PX-1A...A1PX.
    Please note: 1.5 volt batteries will not provide accurate metering.
    You may find more answers and solutions in the following links.

Small Battery Company-UK:
    http://www.smallbattery.company.org....50_adapter.htm

KEH Camera, Battery Blog:
    http://www.kehblog.com/2011/09/battery-guide.html

Hope this helps,
    Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep in mind that you don't need a battery for this camera. I have never put a battery in mine and have been using it for years.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the battery is slightly different voltage than needed than act accordling.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use a battery adapter, like that available fro Gossen and others for voltage reduction from 1.5 to 1.3. It is a tight squeeze but they fit into a Canonet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the OP may have a validly odd battery question he's asking.

If the battery in his picture came from that Canonet QL17, what is it?

It's not a PX625 format. It's much too tall for that. (I have a QL17 GIII and a freezer full of 625 mercury cells.) But references I've looked at, including Canon's historical archives, says 1.3-volt (MP) mercury. And he says the compartment door reads 1.3-volts.

The only form factor I could find that matched that voltage, used to be available in mercury, and looked similar was a PX640. But even that seems just a bit shorter. And nowhere could I find a reference to 640s in Canonets.

There is the PX27 format, but I believe the voltage is incorrect (5.6-volts in the original mercury version), even though it closely resembles the photo.

So what is that battery?

(Regarding camera model, I also note that his lens collar levers are significantly different from other QL17s.)

Ken

[Edit: See the following link for an excellent Mercury Replacement Battery Catalogue by the Small Battery Company in the UK.]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-18-2012 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses. I have been looking into the various battery options mentioned in this thread. For the time being I am shooting with an external light meter.
    Regarding the differences Ken mentioned - is it possible that they exist because the camera was purchased in 1966 in Japan and that there may have been a slightly different model released to the US and Europe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That battery looks exactly like a PX-640 -- a 1.35v packaging of two mercury cells. I don't think it was ever intended for a Canonet but iof it fit it may have actually worked.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Canon Canonet QL17

I've been using PX625A batteries for many years with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin