Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,837   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon Canonet QL17

Hi Everyone,
    I have been getting back in to film over the past year and I have been lurking here recently.
    I have been interested in the Canon Canonet QL17 and have been watching them on ebay. Well today I acquired one from my Father-in-Law, that he said he had purchased in Japan in 1966. It appears to be the original model with a 45mm 1.7 lens. The camera seems to function properly (I will run a roll of film through it tomorrow to see what I get). I have been online all day researching it and most of the info I have come up with deals with the giii which seems to be very similar but with a few changes - mostly the lens (40mm vs 45mm) and the battery.
    I am looking for info on the battery as it seems very different from the type used in the giii. The battery door says 1.3v which I believe is the same as the giii and the battery from the camera doesn't have any info on it other then a patent #. I have posted some pictures here (sorry taken with my iphone) including the battery that I pulled out of the camera. Any help regarding the battery or any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG (2).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	496.2 KB 
ID:	59892

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	59893
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0136.JPG (2).jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    according to the photo, I think the battery you have is LR-50 or PX-1. But the manual said it needs 625 or PX-13. Of course any of these battery would have wrong voltage and might cause wrong exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the modern 1.5v batteries are, LR-50...PX-1A...A1PX.
    Please note: 1.5 volt batteries will not provide accurate metering.
    You may find more answers and solutions in the following links.

Small Battery Company-UK:
    http://www.smallbattery.company.org....50_adapter.htm

KEH Camera, Battery Blog:
    http://www.kehblog.com/2011/09/battery-guide.html

Hope this helps,
    Marc

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep in mind that you don't need a battery for this camera. I have never put a battery in mine and have been using it for years.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the battery is slightly different voltage than needed than act accordling.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use a battery adapter, like that available fro Gossen and others for voltage reduction from 1.5 to 1.3. It is a tight squeeze but they fit into a Canonet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the OP may have a validly odd battery question he's asking.

If the battery in his picture came from that Canonet QL17, what is it?

It's not a PX625 format. It's much too tall for that. (I have a QL17 GIII and a freezer full of 625 mercury cells.) But references I've looked at, including Canon's historical archives, says 1.3-volt (MP) mercury. And he says the compartment door reads 1.3-volts.

The only form factor I could find that matched that voltage, used to be available in mercury, and looked similar was a PX640. But even that seems just a bit shorter. And nowhere could I find a reference to 640s in Canonets.

There is the PX27 format, but I believe the voltage is incorrect (5.6-volts in the original mercury version), even though it closely resembles the photo.

So what is that battery?

(Regarding camera model, I also note that his lens collar levers are significantly different from other QL17s.)

Ken

[Edit: See the following link for an excellent Mercury Replacement Battery Catalogue by the Small Battery Company in the UK.]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-18-2012 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses. I have been looking into the various battery options mentioned in this thread. For the time being I am shooting with an external light meter.
    Regarding the differences Ken mentioned - is it possible that they exist because the camera was purchased in 1966 in Japan and that there may have been a slightly different model released to the US and Europe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That battery looks exactly like a PX-640 -- a 1.35v packaging of two mercury cells. I don't think it was ever intended for a Canonet but iof it fit it may have actually worked.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: Canon Canonet QL17

I've been using PX625A batteries for many years with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin