Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,618   Online: 1069

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Sick of buying lenses that need work

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post

Re the lubrication - I am loathe to pull the lenses apart, I would probably have screws left over when I am finished.
    As I always tell my wife, after a repair "project". If I cannot put it back together with fewer pieces than the person who designed it, then I am no smarter than they are.

-Alex, spare parts is us, Baker

PS: if you want to know how much deterioration it takes to affect your images...

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008...ment-scratches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Buying from reputable dealers do not guarantee you'll get the item as described, either. Used gear dealers don't check large amount of inventory they have to a degree we would. It may have been a good unit when they got it but in storage it can deteriorate. In shipping it can get knocked around. A lot can happen to gears. I had many pieces that had to go back for refund or exchanges.

It does guarantee you can return it and get a refund, however....

I have repaired relatively simple lenses like enlargement lenses. But it does take some finesse in doing so. If you are not comfortable with doing this or can risk the lens rendered completely useless as a result, I wouldn't try it. I have destroyed lenses in my attempts as well.
    I have never regretted anything bought from KEH. It costs more, but it seems like they really do check. I tend to wait until I have multiple things I want, though, as buying one small thing ends up with ridiculous shipping.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As to the Seneca, I'm more excited that it's a rapid rectilinear. When I saw it I was kind of excited, regardless of the condition, basically because I'll be broke for a little while now from buying the scanner I had to get to show you all my pictures. I had no money to buy another lens, really, and I have plenty of experience cleaning up equipment, so...

This should make for some fun shots. And if it does have a 6" focal length, it should also solve my 'this shot needs a wider angle lens than I have' issue about one of the photographs in the current project I'm working on. :P
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I have never regretted anything bought from KEH. It costs more, but it seems like they really do check. I tend to wait until I have multiple things I want, though, as buying one small thing ends up with ridiculous shipping.
    In the grand scheme of things, does gear from KEH REALLY cost more? When gear that I am interested in appears on ebay locally*, it is generally much more expensive then buying from KEH, even when you take postage into account. As for buying gear from Gumtree (our Craigslist) - I have yet to see much come up that I am interested in.

*Why the star? A bit of a rant - Asked a seller on here whether they would send to Australia. There response was 'Why don't you find a local vendor'.....there is a reason why us from Down Under are interested in buying gear internationally - WE CAN'T GET IT HERE!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    *Why the star? A bit of a rant - Asked a seller on here whether they would send to Australia. There response was 'Why don't you find a local vendor'.....there is a reason why us from Down Under are interested in buying gear internationally - WE CAN'T GET IT HERE!
    I have a policy: if you're willing to pay the shipping cost, I'm more than willing to take the extra five minutes of time to fill out the customs form. I sell yarn internationally now and, seriously, it's not that much extra time.

Shooter
    35mm
    The main problems I hit with repairing lenses are:

The ball bearing which provides the aperture click - you need to watch this like a hawk or it will fall out, either bouncing onto the floor or sticking to something unlikely depending on whether it has any grease on it.

Cemented element groups where the fungus has got into the cement. Short of having the parts separated and re-glued (a really high-precision job for a professional) there's nothing that you can do.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    The main problems I hit with repairing lenses are:

The ball bearing which provides the aperture click - you need to watch this like a hawk or it will fall out, either bouncing onto the floor or sticking to something unlikely depending on whether it has any grease on it.

Cemented element groups where the fungus has got into the cement. Short of having the parts separated and re-glued (a really high-precision job for a professional) there's nothing that you can do.
    OK, considering your username is PentaxBronica, have you attacked many Bronica lenses? I have one where the flash won't fire (150mm PS) - how hard would that one be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post

I've been unlucky. I had anything from just plain not working to light leaks to packaging ending up in opposite side of the country. I had all kinds of issues but they were always good with exchanges and refunds. I just write it off the hassle factor as a "cost" of buying used equipment. KEH has been doing "free shipping" stuff lately. I group mine enough so that it's always $100 or more. Works for me very well.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sick of buying lenses that need work

The last camera I bought off the local auctions, I had it just long enough to pick out a leatherette colour and the film door fell off, hinges had snapped. I know I sure didn't break them....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    New Zealand is a very small market compared to, for example, Australia. If New Zealanders don't look after their cars, bikes and motorcycles, I imagine they aren't particularly endowed to their cameras and lenses. Do you buy solely from New Zealand, or is there a missing reference to surrounding Oceania e.g. Australia?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin