Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,069   Online: 941

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sick of buying lenses that need work

KEH is soooo far away, if they were closer I wouldn't buy from the local auctions. The sellers always want top dollar but when they arrive the lenses I have been buying always have something wrong with them.... I need to get them pulled to bits and serviced. Making me grumpy

The latest two lenses I have bought have issues. The 35 2.8 Zuiko has a haze on the front element and a focus ring so stiff I can barely turn it. The 24 2.8 Zuiko has a stiff aperture ring and a focus ring with a large amount of free play.

Getting sick of this but at least it keeps my repairman's children fed and clothed. And probably through college too the way I am going

So does anyone think those two lenses will be expensive to fix?

Shooter
    35mm
    Focus and aperture rings are problems you can fix yourself, if you know how to operate a screwdriver.
    Google around and you'll find plenty of info on disassembling and lubricating manual-focus lenses.

The haze on the front element may actually require the services of a professional, and it may not be fixable if it's really bad. I assume you've tried to clean it yourself already, at least the front surface?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I try to avoid much more than fogging with my breath - all the lens cleaning products I have ever used just end up with a horrid purple film on the glass. I assume it will be easy for a pro to fix

Re the lubrication - I am loathe to pull the lenses apart, I would probably have screws left over when I am finished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vinegar works great for haze and fungus. Lubricating the focus is usually very simple as well, most of them you can get some lube in without having to pull the helical apart.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris, keep your eyes peeled right here at the apug classifieds.
    Some wont post to aus but it's worth a shot.

The wtb works better than you might think.
    I've had good luck with some "want to buy" posts.

Good luck mate!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, I feel your pain. I have had my fair share of lenses 'in good condition', that have:
    • had fungus (granted, one ebay seller gave me the whole purchase price back, but that was the only one).
    • Sticky aperture blades - I have fixed most of them myself, but it's always a fiddly job
    • one didn't fire the flash (Bronica SQAi) - I didn't find out until around 6 months after buying it

I suppose this is the joys of buying second hand. But, with the way that ebay prices have gone of late, I have given up on it and will buy further gear from known sellers on here (or LFF), KEH or FFordes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I would love to buy from KEH. The freight cost plus exchange rate usually means I have to buy something substantial to make it worthwhile. It's then tempting to buy stuff locally but I am getting burned every single time now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just bought this.

I'm one of those people who can't resist a project. Lord knows I now have enough of them.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love that. "Dustproof". Seems to not have worked 100% :-)

You are definitely braver than I !!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin