Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FG battery issue

A few years ago a friend of mine gave me his Nikon FG after he went digital. I was warned by my local camera shop that the model was notorious for eating batteries, and that I needed to take them out when I wasn't using it. For a while it seemed I could get away with leaving the batteries in for the day while I was on an outing, but yesterday after shooting about a dozen exposures and having the batteries in for maybe two hours, I lost all power. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have other cameras I use more, but I like the results I get with the FG, when it works. If it doesn't retain enough battery life for me to have it ready at a moment's notice when I'm at least planning on shooting, though, it doesn't seem very useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used FG and FG20 in the past - never had this problem. Was it very cold outside?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you got the camera for free it's worth spending the cost of getting the electrical fault that's causing the excessive battery drain repaired.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    You must have a faulty camera as my FG certainly does not have this issue as I have had batteries in mine for quite a long time (almost a year?) and it works just fine. In fact, this is the first I have ever read about the FG "eating batteries".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were the batteries that you used fresh?

Shooter
    35mm
    My experience with the FG - one of my favorites - was that bumping or holding down thr shutter button partway would drain the batteries. The camera has no "off switch" but turning the shutter dial to m90 will turn off the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So to summarize: use new batteries, when camera not in use - put shutter in M90 position, and avoid very cold places. If after this you still have battery problem - something is faulty in electrics.

Shooter
    35mm
    darkosaric: I use 'cold' to safeguard and preserve batteries, and with good results. I have a hundred button batteries in my freezer and that really does keep them fresh. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife and I have used 2 FGs for the better part of a decade now. There is a secret to save the battery! Look at the shutter speed dial. The "A", "P", and numbered settings are all electronically controlled. The "M90" and "B" settings are fully mechanical, though they still close the circuit to the hot shoe. Any and every time that you are not using the camera, rotate the shutter speed dial to either "M90" or "B". This ensures that the battery will not drain, even if the shutter spring is weak or something slightly presses the shutter down. My batteries last for 2 or 3 years shooting around 25 rolls a year.

In short, always leave the shutter speed dial on the mechanical settings and the electronics will not drain. Leaving the dial anywhere else while the camera is in storage can drain the battery.
    I confess I'm a gear nut within my price range. ;)
    Nikon FM2n, FG, FG20, N2000, Nikkormat, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Minox 35EL, Voigtlander Bessa-L
    Yashica-D TLR 6x6, Seagull TLR 6x6
    Agfa Isolette 6x6, Welmy 6x6
    Kodak Tourist 6x9 Anaston lens
    http://www.wendelstout.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    darkosaric: I use 'cold' to safeguard and preserve batteries, and with good results. I have a hundred button batteries in my freezer and that really does keep them fresh. - David Lyga
    When I use my F3 on cold winter day (-20 Celsius and lower) - battery goes down in a hour. After it gets warm again - battery is working again. So now when is very cold outside as simplest solution I use full mechanical camera .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin