Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,930   Online: 1004

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I let lens designers worry about problems like this, I've never had any problem with unacceptable distortion on the images provided by my wide angle lenses on my SLR s even my widest Tamron S.P. 17 mm f3.5.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've never had any problem with unacceptable distortion on the images provided by my wide angle lenses on my SLR s
    You're doing it all wrong. You're not supposed to look at actual pictures, just test charts and pictures of graph paper and parrallel lines!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You're doing it all wrong. You're not supposed to look at actual pictures, just test charts and pictures of graph paper and parrallel lines!

Steve.
    Steve, Steve, Steve (insert head shaking smiley here)
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP asked a technical question. I responded with a technical answer. Distortion is a practical difference between most RF and SLR wide angle lenses. Distortion is not typically a problem in landscapes but for those of us who often shoot subjects with straight lines parallel to the the edges of the frame distortion is visible and distracting. It has nothing to do with test charts and graph paper. Sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Very interesting how retro-focus can actually be an advantage.

Perhaps there will be others with relevant comments on this topic. All I have ever heard is how 'compromised' the SLR wide-angles are but I see nothing but sensational results from such 'inferiority'.

Mark Crabtree: you are very correct to state that focusing them is a problem with SLRs but some are better than others. - David Lyga
    Don't pay attention to everything you hear. My Nikon SLR WA lenses are superb - both of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    Sorry Steve, I apologise for not being a gadget wanker, I often wonder if these test bench jockeys after all their tests ever actually ever take any worthwhile pictures
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being aware of and/or interested in how things work does not make someone any less a photographer, nor does it make someone a "wanker" of any kind. The wankers post to technical threads to remind everyone photography is about pictures. Brilliant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just use what makes you happy

I occasionally use wide angle lenses on my SLRs and I am not troubled by distortion. Then there are exceptions to any rule. For example there is the 18mm f3.5 Zuiko for the Olympus OM cameras. The following is taken from The OM System Lens Handbook from 1983.

A super wide angle, "orthogonal projection" lens
    This Zuiko 18mm lens features both a super wide angle of view and, on the other hand, it is completely corrected for distortion aberrations so that it can be used for normal pictures just like other ordinary lenses. This means that straight lines in the scene are shown as straight lines no matter where they are located. This feature makes this an "orthogonal projection" lens that gives a correct image of the subject according to the lens perspective.
    For more on this lens you can look here:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...htmls/18mm.htm
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Being aware of and/or interested in how things work does not make someone any less a photographer, nor does it make someone a "wanker" of any kind. The wankers post to technical threads to remind everyone photography is about pictures. Brilliant.
    1+
    ...and just talked about optical variety.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    The big problem with technical discussion is agreeing on the criteria to use as "the" standard.

A technical best can only be determined when the output requirements are defined.

If "pictures" means "artistic fun stuff for my walls" is the defined output there is one standard.

If "pictures" means essentially "technically accurate representations of a scene" the standard is quite different.

Us wankers can pick our own standards.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin