Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1157

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    OK but then, why is it called "soft"? It shouldn't make the shutter release any softer, should it? What usefulness can it provide in real use?
    I had a thread about this and after Matt King’s post I decided to try one. My opinion is currently out on these at the moment, as it certainly makes it easier to press the shutter, even by accident (nothing soft about it). But can’t yet decide if I prefer it. Time will tell.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "soft touch" accessory changes the geometry of the process of releasing the shutter. Some people find that it allows them to gently "roll" their finger over the release + accessory, rather than having to push the release, and for them that is better.

In my case, because the release is now taller, it permits me to use my low-dexterity right hand to take the photo.

Unfortunately, I have no end of trouble with a couple of my cameras - the accessory releases won't stay on, and I lose them!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All that a soft touch does is present a larger and more confident "landing" area for the finger. There are so many about that it is quite a risk to take a stab in the dark with just any one when in fact they must be matched to the thrown of the shutter release and any nearby controls which could interfere with the release because of the size or design of the "soft touch". There is of course the physical perception of less shutter "whack" with these things, that are also perceived to reduce jerkiness, though in active practice I haven't found much of a difference. All my photography is done with a cable release (as bulb mode is very often used).
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Use a cable release!
    Beat me to it.

Twice now I have found myself without cable release when shooting the Zeiss Ikonta. Both times I resorted to folding stems of dry grass into a shape suited to pressing the shutter lever on the front of the lens. In one case the tripod was too spindly for the double duty of holding camera still and steady. So I had motion blur.

Note to self. This defeats the "double-exposure-prevention" interlock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shutter release is important... I love the challenge of shooting at slow shutter speeds. Be calm, breathe, follow through...all of that. I use a wall, post or whatever too, if possible. My husband always does the "angry jab..." cracks me up and he gets nice blurry pics every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Beat me to it.

Twice now I have found myself without cable release when shooting the Zeiss Ikonta. Both times I resorted to folding stems of dry grass into a shape suited to pressing the shutter lever on the front of the lens. In one case the tripod was too spindly for the double duty of holding camera still and steady. So I had motion blur.

Note to self. This defeats the "double-exposure-prevention" interlock.
    My little Welti Weltix presents me with the same problem. I don't use it often enough to recall the unlock/advance/cock/release shooting sequence until I have wasted a frame (or two). It's not until the shutter refuses to fire that I realize that I've got the order wrong (again. ). A cable release bypasses the idiot proof mechanics of the camera and allows me to fire the shutter.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin