Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,936   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

New Elmar-M 50mm 2.8 question

Hi,

I have a chance to get black Elmar-M for relatively cheap price . As I already have summicron 50 type 3 - I am wondering about difference in character of those two lenses. Are they too similar, or it is worth to get Elmar-M as well?

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I can tell you for sure is that I sold my black Elmar-M 50/2.8 to buy a Summicron type-3 50/2 just to earn this extra stop.
    Now I am sure that I made a mistake. Elmar is a great performer, very "Leica", compact and very fast focusing. I always had my M6 in my pocket, now I can't.
    I can't really find a disadvantage to Summicron but I just never "felt in love" with it.
    The only drawback about Elmar-M is the flimsy apperture ring but not a big deal
    Last edited by antmar; 11-21-2012 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go for it!
    Elmar 50 ƒ/2.8 got more character for B&W than Summicron 50 ƒ/2.
    Sonnar 50 ƒ/1.5 got more character for B&W and for color than Summicron 50 ƒ/2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do only B&W - so I will go for it .
    I have Industar 50/3.5 collapsible - and with that lens my M camera becomes pocketable. Industar is a good lens, but not excellent; I always think it is better to bring summicron. So I think elmar-M will be winning combo.
    Last edited by darkosaric; 11-21-2012 at 08:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

SFC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had and sold an Elmar-M 2.8. It was a decent lens but one thing drove me nuts: When extended, the focus was quite stiff. Something about the extension/locking that caused binding. I would make sure the one you're looking at doesn't have this. Other than that, a decent performer with very little distortion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    I had and sold an Elmar-M 2.8. It was a decent lens but one thing drove me nuts: When extended, the focus was quite stiff. Something about the extension/locking that caused binding. I would make sure the one you're looking at doesn't have this. Other than that, a decent performer with very little distortion.
    The black Elmar 50 ƒ/2.8 is pretty recent to have gummed helical lubricants etc. etc.
    Perhaps You are referring to the 50's vintage or frankensteined lens?
    The extension/rotate/lock is supposed to be reasonably tight, its like that on all collapsible lenses M or LTM. The "tail" wings are adjustable with a tool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Perhaps You are referring to the 50's vintage or frankensteined lens?
    I am thinking about new black Elmar-M, this example that I can get is from 1999.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know, darkosaric, the black Elmar is recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I am thinking about new black Elmar-M, this example that I can get is from 1999.
    I was referring:
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC View Post
    I had and sold an Elmar-M 2.8. It was a decent lens but one thing drove me nuts: When extended, the focus was quite stiff. Something about the extension/locking that caused binding...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Georg, my bad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love mine. It seems to be the one Leica lens I always hold onto. Mine is chrome. Fast and smooth focus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin