Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,339   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

£1.4 ($2.19) million for a production Leica

The BBC ran a story this evening on the radio about the £1.4 million paid today at auction for a Leica M3D, the record for a production camera higher prices have been paid for prototypes. The D just signifies it was one of 4 supplied to David Douglas Duncan a Life magazine photographer who was also interviewed aged 96 .

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-26-2012 at 03:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    There really is something visceral about cameras, perhaps, which guarantees the future value for some of them (assuming tastes do not change).

In the 60s, the IBM Selectric typewriter was going for USD 1000. Who, today, would 'pay' more than USD 20? Really, to some, the camera is an extension of the body and a cherished one at that. There can be no other reason for the 'unwarranted' price. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This takes fetishism, and reliquary to a new level.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a Discworld novel where a character attempts to take over the leadership of Ankh-Morpork (a city state) by wearing the same boots, clothing, even the same ring as the Patrician. Funnily enough none of it makes him the Patrician...
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I must state, Ben, that 'reliquary' is a most relevant word here. For some, the new 'God'. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think there are too many people loves Leica seriously , very very seriously. I would prefer to donate this money to Leica to open their glass research lab again or give the money to an old lens designer to write a book about how leica design a lens and glass. That would be the greatest gift about being Leica Fan. Other wise , giving it to camera dont excite me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    While I'd love to have a Leica someday there is no way, even if I had Bill Gates $$$$ I'd pay that much for a camera....does it really take 10000x better pictures than any of the used cameras we bought for < $100 off the bay?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its like giving money to single Van Gogh painting 2 million dollars and to others , 400 dollars. Thats not make sense. Leica is good but not an Roman Glass Vase even they are cheap at the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This particularly Leica has a provenance, as one of 4 made for a specific photography, that's important to some collectors.

It's not quite in the same league as Neil Young playing Hank Williams old guitar

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Legendary camera example used by a legendary photographer.
    Very low cost of ownership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin