Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,577   Online: 1169

Shooter
    35mm

Recommended Nikon F books?

My father finally found his old Nikon F (1964 year model) and gave it to me. He thought for sure he sold it years ago and I always had hopes it was hidden somewhere in the house. Well, it has of course sparked my interests learning more about the Nikon F. Can anyone recommend any detailed books on the Nikon F? Always loved the detailed Lecia compendium style books that go into detail about the system. Looks like the Uli Koch trilogy is what I'm looking for, but not sure without actually looking through it. Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I've already found this great site: http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html Excellent information!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    It all depends on what sort of book you want. Is it for photographs taken with Nikon cameras or technical help/details? I have a book for the latter. It is now well out of print called 'Nikon Compendium' A Handbook of the Nikon System. Written by Rudolph Hillebrand and Hans-Joachim Houschild. (Translated into English) The publisher was Hove Books in UK and the ISBN Number is 1 897802 02 1 ... The copy I have was published in 1993 and is till in pristine condition such is the quality.

Naturally it does not cover the last models of the film camera F5-F6-FM3-F100 or any of the cheaper late AF models F80 etc. it is packed full with technical information about all Nikon cameras from the Contax look-a-like copies, the S3 and S4 models. The Nikon F right up to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation of the AF models. (F401 to F90).

A huge number of Llnses are listed giving serial numbers, Non AI/AI/and AIS plus AF types. also how to identify different variations with different models. Also what few lenses cannot be used with certain cameras. Tech details such as number of elements, filtersize etc are included.

Flash guns are named by type up to the SB25 and what lens hood fits what lens. Also what battery is for what metering/drive system. Plus all the 'extras' such as remote releases, caps, product codes and probably a lot more besides.

I have had the book for around 11 years and even now I still find little bits I had not known about before
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 11-29-2012 at 02:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon and Nikkormat Way, by Herbert Keppler, might be good for you.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel_Loader View Post
    My father finally found his old Nikon F (1964 year model) and gave it to me. He thought for sure he sold it years ago and I always had hopes it was hidden somewhere in the house. Well, it has of course sparked my interests learning more about the Nikon F. Can anyone recommend any detailed books on the Nikon F? Always loved the detailed Lecia compendium style books that go into detail about the system. Looks like the Uli Koch trilogy is what I'm looking for, but not sure without actually looking through it. Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I've already found this great site: http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html Excellent information!!!
    Another great site.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    +1. This is a really good book IMO.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info. I'm generally only interested in Nikon F through F3. I think both books mentioned should be a great start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was also "Nikon F Nikkormat - Handbook of Photography" ISBN 0817404740 Cooper & Abbott. Long out of print. It was published in ring binder and as far as I know only one update to include the F2.
    Last edited by George Nova Scotia; 11-29-2012 at 12:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct isbn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ap507b View Post
    +1. This is a really good book IMO.
    This has to be the bible for early Nikon SLR's. The Nikon and Nikkormat Way

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    anything written by Keppler is worth reading.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin