Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,831   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The early Vivitar lenses were all superb and designed by Vivitar themselselsves although manufacture was sub-contracted. But the brand name changed ownership and some cheaper Vivitar lenses were just rebranded lenses from lesser known manufacturers.

In the 70's to the 90's there were some poor quality lenses from companies like Sigma and Hoya, which you'd have expected to be good. In Hoya's case they had to scrap their entire range and they've not sold lenses under the Hoya name since - instead they used their Tokina brand name and the result was the ATX series.

There were a miriad of odd brand names as well, some just available in one country, so the same lens would appear with a whole host of different nams on it, the 19mm f3.8 vivitar was one of these.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Kiron Kid: I will post the serial number on Tuesday. (I am not at home now.)

dbuckle: that photo is the identical lens, but in Canon FD mount, not Konica. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    OK the serial number for the Vivitar that I now own (Canon FD mount) is: # 22200777. This was made somewhat later than debuckle's which begins # 220... but is otherwise identical. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is the Panagor (early Kiron) 21mm f/4.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two of these for Konica, white & red lettering and white & green lettering, one for Minolta MC and one for M42. Some years ago I wrote about this lens, the 19/3.8 and the 21/3.8 T4 in Camerashopper. The 20 is my favorite and seems to be the sharpest of the three. The older 21/3.8 T4 model is a very close second and surprisingly good. The 19 is not bad when stopped down a little and is light and compact but it is not as good as the other two. I have that lens in Canon FD mount. I remember using the 20 with a Konica at the ballpark when the previous Yankee Stadium was new. The 20 and 21 are similar in appearance to the 21/4 Konica Hexanon and the 20/4 Zeiss Flektogon. My 21/2.8 Hexanon is much smaller and lighter but the big 20 is still fun to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just tested it and even at f3.8 it is razor sharp, corner to corner. No complaints here. Thanks all. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    The Vivitar 20mm 3.8 is a pretty good lens, assuming you have a copy that's within specs. Color and sharpness are good and distortion is much better controlled than in the 19mm 3.8 version. Contrast is medium-low; it's a 70's lens, after all. The 82mm filter size is a draw-back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I have never seen the 20mm in UK. There was aF3.8 19mm lens sold under various names - Vivitar, Cosina, Sirius were a few of them. It was around about 20 years ago and it was absolute utter rubbish I wonder if this was developed from it? It certainly couldn't be worse. It had a 62mm filter thread and the build quality was good, but the glass - Ugh!
    I have a Vivitar 19mm f3.8 lens that was a present from a friend a few years ago and it was so good I'm using it on my desk as a paperweight, however it did give a taste and feeling for ultra wide angle lenses and I subsequently bought a Tamron S.P.17mm f3.5 lens which is IMO one of the best rectilinear ultra wide angle lenses ever made.
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin