Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,228   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Vivitar 3.8/20mm

Does anyone have comments on this lens: Vivitar 3.8/20mm (Canon mount)? I just bought one in a deal and it appears to be in near mint condition. Pros or cons. Thanks. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like much of the gear sold under the names of companies that marketed but did not manufacture goods, Vivitar lenses are a mixed bag (though Vivitar, in this case, is given credit for the designs). Here is a website that lists the companies that did the manufacturing for them during the period from 1970 to 1990. I have found the Kiron lanses to be quite good (serial numbers beginning with 22), but others may have a different experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cannot comment on the lens you mention. However, let me share my experience with you.

I purchased three 28mm Vivitar lenses. All were in very good condition. Tokina manufactured two of the lenses and Kiron manufactured the third. I expected good image quality from the Kiron and was not disappointed. I did not expect the images from the Tokina lenses to come close to the Kiron and one lens did not. However, I was very surprised to discover that the images from the least expensive of the two Tokina lenses were slightly better than the Kiron.

Bottom line, you may not be able to tell if you have a good Vivitar lens until you actually use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Vivitar 19mm f/3.8 lens in Pentax K mount and it is an amazing lens! I am also stunned at how sharp it is....

[IMG] 1946 Globe Swift by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] 1946 Globe Swift by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

Kent

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Like much of the gear sold under the names of companies that marketed but did not manufacture goods, Vivitar lenses are a mixed bag (though Vivitar, in this case, is given credit for the designs). Here is a website that lists the companies that did the manufacturing for them during the period from 1970 to 1990. I have found the Kiron lanses to be quite good (serial numbers beginning with 22), but others may have a different experience.
    Kiron was a real bargain back in the day. A good friend of mine bought a brand new Pentax ME Super Program camera with the Pentax 50mm lens when he was in college. He wanted a Pentax zoom but couldn't afford it so I recommended the Kiron. He purchased the Kiron and swore that it was sharper than his 50mm Pentax lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is yours the Cosina version? I got mine pretty cheap, and it performed surprisingly well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I says only Vivitar on it, not Cosina, Kiron Kid. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I says only Vivitar on it, not Cosina, Kiron Kid. - David Lyga
    David

What is the serial # on your lens?

Russ

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the 20mm 3.8 Vivitar in Konica AR mount made by Kiron. I find it an excellent lens. David you can tell the manufacture by the first two digits if it's 22 then it is made by Kiron.

Konica T3 by dbuckle2695, on Flickr
    Last edited by dbuckle; 12-03-2012 at 05:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never seen the 20mm in UK. There was aF3.8 19mm lens sold under various names - Vivitar, Cosina, Sirius were a few of them. It was around about 20 years ago and it was absolute utter rubbish I wonder if this was developed from it? It certainly couldn't be worse. It had a 62mm filter thread and the build quality was good, but the glass - Ugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin