Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,348   Online: 848

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The secret is not to be too acquisitive, and accumulate cameras that you don't use, because the more cameras you have the more you need to protect, worry about, insure, and have serviced .
    he says as he proceeds to buy his fifth Minolta SRT body!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure how to define "too acquisitive". I've purchased a few very nice extra bodies just to protect myself. I can buy almost all Nikon film bodies for less than even a tuneup on an existing one. Repairs -- forget about it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no,send them all to me. i will take care of it!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 3 Nikon F100, one Mamiya RB-SD, and a couple of digital.

I don't do anything special. I keep them in my closet. My house is always air conditioned. I'm a bit more concerned about lenses than bodies. I still don't do anything special.

After use, bodies and lenses get a quick burst of compressed air, then wipe down with a soft cloths. then they go back into my closet.

If I don't plan to use it for quite a while, I usually take batteries out and put it into a ziploc bag with a descant That's if I plan to not use it for 6 months or longer.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    I would add not to leave them with the shutters cocked, especially if they have cloth shutters. Over time this will stretch the springs and throw the shutter speeds out of adjustment.
    I think this has been shown to be mythology as the difference in tension in an uncocked spring compared with a cocked spring is very small. i.e. in an uncocked state the spring is still in tension, probably around 80% of the cocked tension, in order to get a more linear response. If the spring went slack at the end of the movement there would be a huge difference in tension across the travel of the shutter resulting in it slowing down towards the end of its travel.

Steve.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i work allcamera speeds on all cameras every quarter. i just pick the major holidays to remember. in addition, batteries are exchanged at christmas and easter.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
    I'm not sure how to define "too acquisitive". I've purchased a few very nice extra bodies just to protect myself. I can buy almost all Nikon film bodies for less than even a tuneup on an existing one. Repairs -- forget about it.
    What I mean is instead of spending more and more money on buying more twenty plus year old cameras that most probably have never had any maintenance that you rarely us, I.M.O. the money is better spent on having fewer cameras that you have serviced and use on a regular basis that work reliably, and having several SLR bodys at home isn't going to help you because you can't carry them all when the one you're using in the field craps out on you.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-02-2012 at 07:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    i work allcamera speeds on all cameras every quarter. i just pick the major holidays to remember. in addition, batteries are exchanged at christmas and easter.
    I use a similar approach but use the switch to/from daylight savings time as th reminder. That 's when I replace the backup batteries in all household detectors as well.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not terribly organized. I tend to keep things in felt bags and set them on shelves, or on chairs, or on the dresser, or in other out-of-the-way locations. Once in a while I'll pick up a bundle, open it up, and discover a camera I haven't seen for most of the year, together with a lens I'd wondered about a couple of months ago, with a roll of film half shot... It tends to be the next one I shoot with.

Special precautions? No, not really. It's tempting to keep things in zip-loc bags because they're so convenient, but I don't because of the potential moisture damage that can accrue. I use AA Lithiums in most of my cameras; they're expensive, but long-lived and light weight. So when I tuck a camera away for an extended period I remove the batteries, primarily to use them in something else. I use body caps on everything.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    It's tempting to keep things in zip-loc bags because they're so convenient, but I don't because of the potential moisture damage that can accrue.
    What potential moisture damage?

Steve.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin