Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,637   Online: 963

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Point is, I know this camera pretty well, and I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
    You're not. As mentioned, the meter is simply reading the sky and that makes everything else dark. Even very, very expensive cameras can cock-up in this way occasionally. Set the ASA dial on the front to a lower speed e.g. if your shooting at 400 asa, set the speed on the camera to 200 or 160 ASA. This will increase the exposure for the darker foreground (although it will blow out the sky).
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    It definitely sounds like a situation where you'd use the exposure compensation dial. I used to get that all the time with slide film until I learned how to meter properly (I tend to point the camera at sunlit grass to get a reading, then compose and shoot. It works for me).
    Unfortunately there is no 'exposure lock' function of the XA2. The only manual exposure control is adjusting the ISO, which is hard on the XA2 or the "+1.5" exposure switch.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I shoot a different XA2 and the XA4 quite regularly, and I know the results I should be getting. I've never had to mess with the 1.5 option. Batteries are fresh, the contacts and sensor are clean. To David's point, there were a few frames where I had to fiddle with the shutter button a bit to get it to engage.

In reviewing my shots, I'm noticing quite a few are underexposed -- not just scenes with a sky. These were all shot on fresh Superia 400, camera set to 400.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000011.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	60794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000012.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	60795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000013.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	60797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000025.JPG 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	60798

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an XA, XA2 and XA4. My XA2 is currently grounded because I would get occasionally OVER exposed frames..I've heard this can be due to shutter sticking.

I use the ISO setting as an exposure compensation on a large fraction of shots. I'm not afraid to crank it all the way over to 50 with 400 speed film. It's just the nature of auto-exposure cameras...the meter can easily be 3 stops off from what I want.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I shoot a different XA2 and the XA4 quite regularly, and I know the results I should be getting. I've never had to mess with the 1.5 option. Batteries are fresh, the contacts and sensor are clean. To David's point, there were a few frames where I had to fiddle with the shutter button a bit to get it to engage.

In reviewing my shots, I'm noticing quite a few are underexposed -- not just scenes with a sky. These were all shot on fresh Superia 400, camera set to 400.

Name:	00000011.JPG 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	60794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000012.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	60795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000013.JPG 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	60797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000025.JPG 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	60798
    Thanks for following up. These definitely look underexposed. Even the sky in the shots with sky look underexposed.

Have you used more than one roll in this camera? (just saying, it could be a problem with the film, the development, or even the ISo set wrong)

-OK, since you have more than one XA, the final answer is to compare them. Open the film back and try a couple of shots in different lighting. You should see the aperture and shutter speed change.
    Compare that to one of your other cameras. My guess from the images is that you will see a noticeable difference.
    Darin

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did shoot a second roll. Same film (Superia 400), but I actually shot this roll at 800 and pushed it a stop. This is something I do fairly regularly when I wanted a fast shutter. The attachment show a random sampling of frames from that roll.

Name:	xa2forapug.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	60830

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have one XA2 that always underexposes, except for flash shots - they come out perfectly.

I learned 2 things about this XA2

1) Use ONLY Silver-Oxide batteries. Cheap alkalines do not have the strength to hold the shutter open (electro-magnets)

2) Always set the film speed to 1/2 box speed. Meaning set it to 200 for 400 film, 100 for 200 film.

After this, my little XA2 works perfectly.
    Last edited by wblynch; 12-06-2012 at 02:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    yes your shots do look underexposure even taking into account that the meter is supposed to be fooled with lots of sky. So yes I agree with you that your XA2 is underexposing. But if it's like the XA there are 2 metering system in the XA. One is only for the meter needle and another for control the actual exposure. Does the XA2 has the meter needle in viewfinder like that of the XA? If it does, does the shutter speed indicated seems right as compared to another camera or just with your experience?
    My XA gives good exposures but the meter needle is wrong. If it were to expose like what the meter is saying then it's always overexposing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Does the XA2 has the meter needle in viewfinder like that of the XA?"
    -no it has no exposure info.

I have both a XA2 and XA in my hands right now. The XA2 gives about the same shutter speed as the XA when set on f4. (It seems the XA2 prefers wide-open unless in really bright light)

It seems everyone agrees that your camera is under-exposing. Quite a bit from the look of it. Maybe 2 stops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin