Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,692   Online: 856

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    only the last versions of the 3,5 and 2,8 Elmar had an E 39 thread. The Summitar was an uncoated pre war lens that was continued after the war until in 1953 the collapsible Summiron was presented but with coating and the number of diaphragm segments was reduced from 9 to 6. The front lens was made of a rather soft glass and therefore many Summitars have a scratched front lens. The sharpness is good in the middle but falls down noticeably to the corners. The lens is more susceptible to flare than the Summicron, lens shades are very rare and expensive. The 2,8 Elmar is only hardly better than the 3,5 but due to the use of rare earth glass the speed could be increased by 1/2 stop. The resolution of the collapsible 7 lens-Summicron (it is not identical to the rigid) is better than the Elmar and the Summitar, the best stop is 5,6. With all old collapsible lenses you can have the problem that the mechanical mount is worn and wobbly and the parallelity and the register of the lens is no longer guaranteed. If you forget to pull it out or you don't bolt it correctly, you don't get a sharp picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have just find one link that could be useful in this discussion, probably most of you know this site already. It is on Italian, but anyhow:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_...tro/00_pag.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I have just find one link that could be useful in this discussion, probably most of you know this site already. It is on Italian, but anyhow:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_...tro/00_pag.htm
    Never seen that website but thanks for sharing.

Thank goodness for google translate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depending on your body, some collapsible lenses may not be compatible and have to be either always extended, or have the barrel taped to prevent it from fully collapsing.

Shooter
    35mm
    the restrictions for use of collapsible lenses refer to the Leica M 5 and the Leica CL only. These body have the measuring cell on a swinging arm which swings into the space between the lens and the shutter. If the lens is collapsed and you try to measure the ligt, the arm could be damaged. In the M 6 and upward the collapsed lens (or a Super Abgulon or first type of 28 mm) only shades the exposure measuring cell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    The Elmar ƒ/2,8 is very interesting lens but LTM Elmar ƒ/3,5 got unique rendering due to diaphragm position after the the 1st element and other optical specifics, also a much smaller lens than anything 50mm Leica.
    Sorry to bugging you with details Georg , but what about M mount 3.5 version? More similar to 2.8 or LTM in rendering and character?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Darko,
    I haven't shot with the ƒ/3,5 M Elmar, it might be identical to the ƒ/3,5 LTM Elmar made around the same time during the 50's.
    You are having a second thoughts about the M ƒ/2,8 You wanted? You can always go Zeiss Sonnar ƒ/1,5 way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Hi Darko,
    I haven't shot with the ƒ/3,5 M Elmar, it might be identical to the ƒ/3,5 LTM Elmar made around the same time during the 50's.
    You are having a second thoughts about the M ƒ/2,8 You wanted? You can always go Zeiss Sonnar ƒ/1,5 way
    Well, guy who was selling me black elmar f2.8 changed his mind. So yesterday I was going thru ebay and I saw some nice not too expensive summar. While looking on summar - it was gone, purchased :\ ! Then I went on Meister Leica Camera Hamburg shop, and while looking on another summar - it was gone - reserved and purchased :o !

So today I was fed up: I decided to get myself Xmass present today - and elmar 50mm f3.5 M mount is on his way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great! it was meant for You to get the ƒ/3,5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here it is! Elmar-M fits M3 perfectly, much better that elmar-C or summicron 50 type 3. This weekend I go with HP5+ to make some test. Life is good

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elmar-M_50mm_f3.5.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	61224

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin