Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Please provide a listing of which 35mm analog mounts can be employed for digital...

...there are many. First, how many DIGITAL mounts are out there? (I'm ignorant on this.) Nikon and Pentax only?

Of course, I am talking about infinity focus capability, WITHOUT any additional lens in the adapter.

We all know that Nikon and Pentax K lenses can be used without adapters on some digital cameras. But which others? For example, M42 adapters are available. Minolta MC/MD as well as Maxxum lenses also have adapters for digital, I think. How about Canon FD and EOS? How about Konica analog? How about the rarer mounts like Fuji-X, Miranda (M44 or bayonet), Petri (!), Yashica bayonet, Olympus OM, Topcon (UNI and RE), Mamiya bayonet, Rollei bayonet. - Thanks. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 12-06-2012 at 08:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you're looking for something in particular, check ebay as they pop up not long after a new lens mount is released.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    The mirrorless crowd is probably the best off of digital users in this regard, since due to short flange distance they can utilize stuff like rangefinder lenses, Pentax 100 or even C-mount lenses (sensor coverage not guaranteed :).

In the digital SLR land, Canon has one of the shorter flanges, M42->EF, OM->EF and F->EF adapters are pretty commonly used. Nikon SLR's can't really mount anything other than Leica R lenses without losing the ability to focus to infinity.

Of the stuff David mentioned, I'm not sure about Topcon, if I remember correctly these don't have a focusing helicoid, which would then have to be a part of the adapter (I could be mistaken though).

Listing of flange distances for a big chunk of lens mounts can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

As a rule of thumb, you should be able to mount a lens with a longer flange on a body with a shorter flange, but I'm sure there are exceptions.
    Last edited by Halka; 12-06-2012 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a list of lens register data in german.

If the register of the lens is bigger that that of the body there might be a glassless adapter.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm aware of at least two companies currently marketing a wide variety of lens adapters: Fotodiox and Rainbow Imaging. I'm not going to list everything they have available, but they have adapters to put almost any lens mount I've ever heard of on almost any other film or digital camera, and I've even seen reasonably-priced tilt/shift adapters for Nikon or Canon lenses on micro-4/3 cameras. The list is almost endless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Basically every SLR mount out there is adaptable. Why does it matter anyway?

Shooter
    35mm
    Look up Cameraquest. He sells just about any lens adapter for digital bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Halka View Post
    Of the stuff David mentioned, I'm not sure about Topcon, if I remember correctly these don't have a focusing helicoid.
    Topcon RE uses a version of the Exacta bayonet. I've got EOS and FD Exacta adapters and have used a Topcor RE 58mm f/1.4 with them. The Topcon UV system is leaf shutter and the aperture control is on the body.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentax DSLRs can use their K lenses and also M42 lenses with an adapter, there's no glass involved but you have to use the lens like a preset one. It's worth getting the genuine adapter as 3rd party ones aren't usually machined as perfectly. The adapter will also allow you to fit M42 lenses to a K mount film SLR.

What features you get with film lenses on a digital body depend on the age of the lens.

SMC Pentax and Pentax-M lenses - manual focus and stop-down metering in M mode, by pressing either the green button or the exposure compensation button. You can also shoot in Av mode but the lens will be held wide open regardless of the aperture you select, in M you have control over the aperture.

Pentax-A lenses - all exposure modes with aperture ring set to A, manual focus.

Pentax-F/FA/FA-J/DFA/DA lenses - all AF, all exposure modes available, set aperture ring (if fitted) to A, lenses report focal length to body so you don't have to dial it in for shake reduction when you turn the camera on.

There is now an official adapter to use K lenses on the mirrorless Q, I have seen 3rd party ones to fit Auto 110 lenses to it. The K-01 uses the same K mount as the DSLRs but is mirrorless, ergonomics are apparently a bit of an acquired taste.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Yashinoff: WHY? Because I have lots of lenses and I just sold a Takumar 1.4/50 for USD 40 because the guy wanted to use it on his digital. There is, perhaps, new value to these old lenses since the 'official' digital lenses cost a fortune. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin