Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,597   Online: 841

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure is neat looking camera.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It looks like a 1950s concept design for what film cameras might look like in the year 2000. Pretty ugly and elaborate looking thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    It looks like a 1950s concept design for what film cameras might look like in the year 2000. Pretty ugly and elaborate looking thing.
    Well, at least it doesn't look like a running shoe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are a few of these on ebay right now; $2,000 appears to be an especially optimistic price.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As I recall, Popular Photography panned the 1.4 Planar when it was first released. Carl Zeiss was quite infuriated with Pop Photo at the time.

However, I will say that the 1.4 Planar for the Rolleiflex SL35 series is a stellar lens. It probably is the same lens (more or less) as the Carl Zeiss T* available for the Kyocera Contax SLRs.

The f/2.0 Planar for the Contarex is an excellent lens ... probably one of the nicest out there.

The Contarex cameras are an acquired taste. You really have to be willing to get used to their quirks, as well as their weight, which is significant.

Excellent cameras still, and certain models are highly sought after by collectors and photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of them. Absolutely love them. Not for everyone, that is for sure. $2k is a high price, but it is craigslist where everyone owns the single best example of whatever it is they are selling...

I have to admit that the reason I bought one is because I am a huge fan/owner of Edsels and the Contarex is, well, reminiscent of the Edsel to my eye!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Well, at least it doesn't look like a running shoe.
    Or a T90. That camera has a lot to answer for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the time the Contarex Bulseye came out in 1958 it probably was the best SLR money could buy, but far too expensive for my pocket at the time.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    At the time the Contarex Bulseye came out in 1958 it probably was the best SLR money could buy, but far too expensive for my pocket at the time.
    It was over 1200 pounds (how do I make that symbol?) That was a shiznik load of money in the 50's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    It was over 1200 pounds (how do I make that symbol?) That was a shiznik load of money in the 50's.
    You make the sign like this £,( its shift and next to the dollar sign Jason), it was a fortune in 1958 when I was a young marine it was around five years pay.
    Ben

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin