Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,108   Posts: 1,636,683   Online: 1303

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    [...]

This was all before digital.

Then what happened ...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Then what happened ...?
    By that, I meant that this was before there were digital techniques available to "enhance" the results - about 1984, I would guess.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    By that, I meant that this was before there were digital techniques available to "enhance" the results - about 1984, I would guess.
    Still, you could probably duplicate it onto a larger piece of film and then print that image, giving you a finer grain look than the original image even if it didn't actually increase the quality at all, it would "appear" to be a finer grain than the reality of it all ... basically, old school extrapolation

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Still, you could probably duplicate it onto a larger piece of film and then print that image, giving you a finer grain look than the original image even if it didn't actually increase the quality at all, it would "appear" to be a finer grain than the reality of it all ... basically, old school extrapolation
    It would probably have to be done something like that. You would have to have an extremely contrasty negative to make a print that large directly enlarging from the original negative too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I was working photo retail when the disk camera came out and all the salesmen preordereda personal employee discount one: until we saw the real life photos and then we let other people buy the cameras. No problem with film flatness though. Crappy lenses and grainy film just like most Kodak consumer stuff.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Yashinoff View Post
    Nikon made a 126 SLR? I know Ricoh did, and so did Zeiss Ikon and Rollei.
    My bad, I was thinking of the Zeiss or Rollei.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Zeiss Ikon had a couple of 126 cameras. One was a very simple point and click model with a Frontar lens, while another is the more complex "Contaflex 126" -- an SLR with a cloth focal-plane shutter and interchangeable lenses. You can argue easily that the Carl Zeiss-branded lenses were much better than the body.

Rollei had the Rollei A26, which was a push-pull affair similar to the A110/E110 cameras. The A26 has a scale-focus Sonnar lens and a bolt-on flash unit with a sealed rechargeable battery.

The Rolleiflex SL26 is a compact SLR with interchangeable Pro-Tessar front elements (akin to the Zeis Ikon Contaflex 35mm SLRs). It has a Synchro-Compur leaf shutter with match-needle manual exposure.

The camera packs a frightening large number of gears and components into a small body, all just begging for some kind of breakdown.

I think that the Rolleiflex SL26 is the best of the four that I mention here, and the A26 isn't too far behind. I'd really like to test the Contaflex 126, but I've given up on trying to find a working body.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

The best film camera money can buy?

Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Zeiss Ikon had a couple of 126 cameras. One was a very simple point and click model with a Frontar lens, while another is the more complex "Contaflex 126" -- an SLR with a cloth focal-plane shutter and interchangeable lenses. You can argue easily that the Carl Zeiss-branded lenses were much better than the body.

Rollei had the Rollei A26, which was a push-pull affair similar to the A110/E110 cameras. The A26 has a scale-focus Sonnar lens and a bolt-on flash unit with a sealed rechargeable battery.

The Rolleiflex SL26 is a compact SLR with interchangeable Pro-Tessar front elements (akin to the Zeis Ikon Contaflex 35mm SLRs). It has a Synchro-Compur leaf shutter with match-needle manual exposure.

The camera packs a frightening large number of gears and components into a small body, all just begging for some kind of breakdown.

I think that the Rolleiflex SL26 is the best of the four that I mention here, and the A26 isn't too far behind. I'd really like to test the Contaflex 126, but I've given up on trying to find a working body.
    You mention finding a working body? Are you saying its easy to get 126 film?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    The Contarex...
    Beautiful lenses attached to a klunky hunk of a camera

Annoying meter interlock on the bullseyes (it doesn't let you choose EVs out of it's metering range), heavy, bulky, not reliable, takes 5 PhDs and a Swiss watchmaker to repair/overhaul
    Does look pretty, though

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I still have some 126 that I bought several years ago. And I've given some thought to refilling a 126 cartridge with 35mm using this method.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin