Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,115   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think it has been mentioned but did try this with a film loaded. It will not function as we expect it to without one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I don't think it has been mentioned but did try this with a film loaded. It will not function as we expect it to without one.
    The F3 doesn't know whether there is film inside. When the back is opened it resets the counter. It only goes on to auto when the counter is at 1 and above. There is no need to actually have film inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    This is true of some cameras.
    My Pentax LX reads light off the shutter curtain on short exposures and off the film on long exposures, and holds the shutter open until it has collected enough light for a proper exposure. If there is no film in the camera, it will read off the black pressure plate and will take much longer. But the F3 only meters OTF for flash.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F3 Auto mode problem

Send it back. There are lots of good F3s out there. If the seller advertised it as fully functional, then that is what you should have received. Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    Picked up another F3 today and works as advertised. Really nice cameras and will compliment my Fs and F2AS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the meter illuminator doesn't work or works poorly, just know that's common. The tiny red button doesn't actuate a microswitch or some such- it just puts a piece of metal across two contacts on the edge of a circuit board. It doesn't have a proper return spring, just some squashy material. Obviously done to save money. A design deficiency in an otherwise excellent machine.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    My current F3 has a very similar problem when I first got it. My brother bought it for me and neglect to inspect it carefully enough. The meter would work fine either in manual or auto but only if the ISO setting is very high and I don't stop the lens down a lot. If the combination of lens stop down and ISO turning down from 6400 is 5 stops or greater it would simply displaying -8- in A or - in Manual. When it works the meter is correct. When I said the combination of stopping down is 5 stops I meant that if I set it at ISO 6400 it would work until I stop down past F5.6 with a f/1.4 lens. If I set it at ISO 3200 then I can only stop down to f/4 and ISO 1600 I can stop down to f/2.8, ISO 800 I can stop down to f/2 etc...
    The problem was found that the subtracting amplifier that subtract the voltage from the meter coupling and ISO resistor from the voltage from photocell is malfunction. If the voltage from the meter coupling and ISO setting is greater than a certain value it simply output 0 volt. I had the shop replaced the chip and it works fine today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin