Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,220   Online: 856

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FA shutter/mirror sound

I've just received my Nikon FA. While playing around with it, I've noticed it has two distinct shutter/mirror sounds, depending on which mode is it set to. If I trip the shutter while in P(ro) or S mode, it responds with a satisfying *clak*; but when firing in M or A mode, there is something else; like if my neighbor dropped a box of cutlery to the floor. First I thought it was the sound of a sub-mirror hitting the main one, but then I realized that FA only has a single mirror. Otherwise the camera works perfectly, shutter speeds sound about right, but I haven't finished my first roll of film in it yet.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you mean, like it's got a loose spring, yes. I sold mine because of that sound. Worked perfectly though. My other Nikons have a very solid, reassuring and satisfying shutter sound.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have three FAs that I got as part of a job lot of gear and I think they are good little cameras. The shutter sound though, particularly when compared to other Nikons, is distinctly odd. Mike's description is pretty accurate

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys, seems like everything is in order then.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin