Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,652   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

so I did it again

Made up my mind on the 35mm combo's I going to keep now after GAS-ing for years:

1.nikon F100+28AFD: for b&w
    2.nikon F100+50AF+85AFD: for b&w

3.nikon F90X/MB10+28-80AF or 35-70AF: for C41/E6 color
    4.nikon F90X/MB10+70-210AF or 75-300AF : for C41/E6 color

5.oly mju zoom MkI 38-70mm: for C41/E6 color
    6.oly mju zoom MkI 38-70mm: for b&w

My arguments for this:

- "prosumer" grade SLR 's on the market now aren't worn out at all and cheap, any pro body I encounter was worn out/used heavily and expensive, so easily/cheaply replaced when broken
    - using 2 identical bodies keep my mind on (color and) composition instead of searching the right button on the other new camera I GAS-sed again
    - it will make my choices limited before heading out, I started to hate having to CHOOSE out of all these machines/lenses before heading out
    - I'm now for choosing one b/w film dev combo and one color film though that seems not very wise considering film use has to be supported as widely as possible

Is there anyone recognising this setup or do you have any recommondations to add to it?
    Tnx.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I reason like this: the camera situation will never be perfect. It is what it is. As long as my tools are usable and intuitive to use, I will happily snap away and add to the pile of negatives.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inhale and enjoy your GAS! :d
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inhale and enjoy your GAS!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Different stuff for different people, but for me, I think I'd just keep the two F100s and 28, 50, 85. No matter, as long as you are comfortable with the tools and they don't get in the way of your photography.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Sounds good.
    2. You'll never stick to it. I've made plans like this several times. There's always something that pulls me in a different direction.

Don't worry about it. And don't think that acquiring 'one more piece' will help to settle things. It never works out that way. Just enjoy your gas.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    No manner how far I travel in camera land I always seem to come back to 35mm half frame. Dinky negative I know but.......there you are.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I find all the choices distracting too. I never intended to have so many different setups, but it is hard to resist some of the bargains.

For me personally, I'm going a bit the other direction from you and concentrating on my older Leica M stuff. I need to add very little to that.

The hard part is getting rid of the other goodies. I got a Contax (C/Y) system a while ago and find it to be a distraction for me, but it is awfully hard to let those nice lenses go. I have a friend that is not bothered by having decades of accumulated gear laying around, but I waste way too much time and energy thinking about this extra stuff, deciding what to use, and keeping everything reasonably organized.

I think "pen s" has it figured out; just find what works for you and use it.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 12-15-2012 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems the distraction is there for everyone (except L shooters maybe). I really intend to keep the 4 camera's as my only choice will be then color or b&w, not a hard one for me. Color is lab work, costing a couple of €, b&w is nicer but needs investment in darkroomtime. Like I said, easy. Tnx for your input.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two manual focus bodies, and two autofocus bodies, and a shelf full och bodies needing repair... (ebay bargains that have minor problems).

I use one manual focus body and one autofocs body at a time, and keep/carry (dep. on the situation) the two others as spares.

So in your case, if it was me, I'd use only one body at a time, one for black and one for color, and keep the other two as spares, wrapped in a plastic bag, no batteries in, etc. And the olympus is a good pocket/backup camera to always carry (I have a 35mm mju too).

There's nothing more annoying than a failing camera body in the wrong situation.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin