Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,366   Online: 734

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Fungus

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens Fungus

I have a Nikon 35-70 F3.5 AI lens, which is pretty beat up, dented filter ring and all that, but optically sound.

Except, I've noticed a small amount of fungus at the back of the lens. It doesn't seem to affect my images at all, but what I want to know is: what's the worst that can happen if I ignore it? And would it be better to simply replace the lens rather than have it cleaned?
    Jacob

Canon AE-1 Program - Leica M6 - Mamiya-6 (folder) - Nikon FM2

psychfunk.wordpress.com
    huntersarenotcooks.tumblr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    keep it away from your non infected lenses

putting it in sunlight might kill the fungus

might be cheaper to replace than have it cleaned but then there is the problem of an infected lens floating around if you sell it.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    You can usually clean fungus successfully. Only problem I've encountered is that it seems to have a fondness for the glue used to hold multi-element groups together, if it gets into those then there's nothing you can do to clean it.

I'd get a quote from a professional to sort it out (they should be able to fix the filter ring too), then compare that to the replacement cost. Zooms are harder to work on than primes but can still be cleaned - I've worked on three so far, two had a single bloom on one element while the third was literally riddled (I had to remove and clean every single piece of glass). Dry storage and frequent use (exposing them to UV light) seems to keep it from reappearing.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pictures don't look affected, and it does get used pretty frequently. My worry was that the fungus might grow, but if it gets exposed to light regularly -and it does, there's no front cap due to the dented filter ring not accepting one - is the fungus probably dead anyway?

Do I need to bother doing anything at all?
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Lens Fungus

Quote Originally Posted by psychfunk View Post
    My pictures don't look affected, and it does get used pretty frequently. My worry was that the fungus might grow, but if it gets exposed to light regularly -and it does, there's no front cap due to the dented filter ring not accepting one - is the fungus probably dead anyway?

Do I need to bother doing anything at all?
    I wouldn't use that lens, if you put it on your body, the the mold spores can migrate to the body, then you change lenses and the mold spores transfer to other lenses and then mold starts growing on those...

Even if its cleaned you can't always be sure it is free of the spores... Sell it on eBay with full disclosure, or just throw it away, I wouldn't chance infecting your other equipment. Don't store it with the other equipment either...

If you really want lots of moldy equipment and don't care, I have a macro lens for my Mamiya RZ67 that has some mold spores, I'll sell it for 1/4th the price

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I wouldn't use that lens, if you put it on your body, the the mold spores can migrate to the body, then you change lenses and the mold spores transfer to other lenses and then mold starts growing on those...
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you really want lots of moldy equipment and don't care, I have a macro lens for my Mamiya RZ67 that has some mold spores, I'll sell it for 1/4th the price
    Too late, it's already been on a few bodies. I have been keeping it away from my other lenses though.

My old Mamiya 645 80/2.8's aperture diaphragm is jammed wide open, and I actually use it as a paperweight I don't think I need any more dead Mamiya glass haha.
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Be careful. Handling a fungus-infected lens can lead to jock itch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh dear. I'll keep it away from my groups and elements then... :P
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    LOL to above replies.....How do you think the fungus got there in the first place? Spores are everywhere anyway, so just keep your equipment in a dry ventilated place and fungus will not start, grow or thrive. erm Has anyone noticed in the tombs of Egypt was anything ruined by fungus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Be careful. Handling a fungus-infected lens can lead to jock itch.
    That happen to me!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin