Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Concise guide to nikon primes?

Hello folks,
    I would like to add to my camera gear one 35mm body with two or three prime lenses (24/28 - (50) - 85/105)- I've been thinking about going the Nikon way. I am still deciding between going the "older-school" F3 way or more up-to-date F100 way. I don't own any other 35mm or digital equipment at the moment - so no other compatibility considerations.
    Anyway, when I started looking at nikon lenses, I became lost almost instantly - so many models and generations - Ai, Ais, EF-D, AF, don't know what other letters are there..
    So my main question is - is there any concise guide to nikon lenses somewhere on the internet or any other source? I am at a loss when it comes with compatibility between mentioned film bodies (only thing I understand is that the F3 won't do autofocus, of course, but I still doubt whether I want/need that feature ). And on top of that if I start to build a collection (albeit small) of nikon glass, I'd like to ensure the compatibility with their digital range (D300/D700 and similar) - if I ever need to go that way.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the F-100 to the F3.
    21mm - 28mm - 50mm - 150mm 0r 200mm lenses
    I like the Nikon AF lenses but I have been know to focus manual lenses as well. Remember that an AF lens can still be manually focused. While AF lenses are great for sports or wild life, they can be extremely useful even when shooting college graduations and small children in motion.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I prefer the F-100 to the F3.
    21mm - 28mm - 50mm - 150mm 0r 200mm lenses
    I like the Nikon AF lenses but I have been know to focus manual lenses as well. Remember that an AF lens can still be manually focused. While AF lenses are great for sports or wild life, they can be extremely useful even when shooting college graduations and small children in motion.
    Thank you - good point with small children.. There are currently three of them tottering around me as I type..
    Apart from them, I aim the camera to be as a backup to my MF/LF setup or generally something to grab when heading out for a walk...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Thank you - good point with small children.. There are currently three of them tottering around me as I type..
    Apart from them, I aim the camera to be as a backup to my MF/LF setup or generally something to grab when heading out for a walk...
    My F100 with a Nikon 28mm - 200mm zoom lens serves part time as a spot meter for my Hasselblads and LF cameras.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If youre thinking F3, FE/FM series or Autofocus bodies the Ai and Ais lens lines are pretty much the same. On the AF bodies you loose Shutter priority an Program exposure modes and matrix metering (and ofcource autofocus) but otherwise the lenses work fine.
    AF and AFD differs in the Distance info given to the camera by the lens which can be of use if using flash. AFS has the AF motor in the lensbarrels so it does not need the one in the camera body. I don't care if my lenses are Ai or Ais but I prefer AFD to AF. If you want to use your lenses on both AF and MF camera stay clear of the AFG lenses which are without the apperturering.
    The 24,50 and 105mm combo works great for me.
    BTW I like both my F100, F90X, F3, FE2 and FM (would like a FM2n though)
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Just avoid pre-AI and G lenses and you'll be golden. How's that for concise?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    Just avoid pre-AI and G lenses and you'll be golden. How's that for concise?
    Excellent! Just the kind of answer I needed! Thank you.
    And thanks also for all the other more elaborate answers, much appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm

Concise guide to nikon primes?

The Ai and AiS lenses fit most AF bodies, but with some bodies(N80, etc) you get no metering. The F100 allows manual and aperture priority with spot or centre-weighted, but not matrix. The aperture in use doesn't appear in the viewfinder with MF lenses. If you are likely to interchange with digital, get the F100 and AF-D lenses. My only gripe with it is the electric cable release which has a plug that can be tricky to fit( but that's probably just me!). Otherwise, it's a great 35mm camera. Alex

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin