Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 843

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewf View Post

I do also have a Pentax KX from the dark ages and it's lovely to use but the light meter is stuffed so I have to use an external one which isn't really that practical sometimes. I only have one lens for that camera too which limits how creative I can be, more so than the Canons.
    It might not be the light meter which is stuffed. I bought one a couple of weeks ago which appeared dead but returned to working order after I cleaned the battery cover. If that doesn't do it then a CLA shouldn't be horribly expensive and will get it working perfectly.

Lenses aren't hard to find for little outlay, just stick to SMC Pentax or SMC Pentax-M (ideally primes) as they'll be the nicest to use on that body and there are no real horrors amongst them.
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    It doesn't need to be super high resolution becuase that was why I bought a t2i.
    You are too used to "d"! Film cameras resolution only depends on the film and lenses.
    You can buy a low end camera like the EOS 300 and put there a 50mm F1.4 and a fine grain film and you'll get great results.
    Any camera can handle dark and contrasty situations: it all depends on the film you use and lens.
    And welcome to APUG!
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightguy View Post
    I want to know want you think the best 35mm camera is.
    Welcome to Apug

Many people already answered nicely, so let's joke a little

According to Ken Rockwell best cameras are nikon. Once long time ago camera manufacturers give to Ken two cameras, and better one was called nikon, worse one was called canon. Later they gave him some other crap - and he sad - "this is worse than canon". That is how pentax was born .
    Of course when Ken become rich - he was able to afford Leica - and he realized what all we known about Leica cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Best? There simply does not exist one, single "best" of anything.
    I agree but we'll tell him what it is anyway

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Think a bit about what lenses you want rather than what body you want. If you are talking low light, you should be looking at prime lenses rather than zooms. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax....they all made perfectly good bodies, but what kind of lenses do you want? For me, a fast 35, 50 and 85-100 is all I need and I have small hands so that pointed me toward Olympus and Leica for their compact systems and quality, fast lenses. The Oly lenses are also adaptable to EOS cameras. I have an EOS Elan 7 and is a great camera especially with a 50mm 1.8 or the 85mm f1.8. I don't like the 35mm offering and everything is so big to accommodate autofocus.

So what is best.....depends on what you really want. Pretty much anything that is in good condition with a 50mm lens will preform better than I'll ever need!
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you. I'm totally new to film photography, and this helps a lot everyone. Expecally the comment by Ricardo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nikon F6. If you have the pockets, go for that. Otherwise stick with an F100 or F4s.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I agree but we'll tell him what it is anyway

pentaxuser
    Yes, I know there is no best camera, but I figured it would get me some good recommendations.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with BradS. It depends on you. Most of the answers you see here will be valid. I sold cameras retail since 1957 and have seen all the combinations there are.
    I settled on an Olympus IS-3. It has a 35-180 Zoom. With a screw in adapter I can go to 28 mm or can go to 300 mm. It has built in flash and will accept a dedicated more powerful flash. With the press of a button I have a Macro lens plus it will get even closer with close up lenses.

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    ....This was conducted with the Pentax LX + Pentax M 28mm f2.8 taking about 40 minutes in aperture priority auto exposure. There are no other cameras - past or present, that have the Pentax LX's single unassisted metering range of EV -6.5 to EV 20, practically unlimited aperture priority auto exposure as well as realtime monitor of the scene lighting for changes..
    Wow...I learned something Thanks for your post!

Nice photos btw.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin