Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,381   Online: 826

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    +1!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would caution not to be put off by buying something and finding it not to your liking thus causing you not to pursue shooting film. Cameras for me are to a certain extent something like the perfect pair of hiking boots. You may have to go thru a couple models or more till you find the perfect pairing. This extends alot to hand fit, control placement, viewfinder and information therein and weight. While most of us probably have more then 1 body, and for some of us even alot of bodies ( I own 9 working bodies and some half working) there are many times where there is just one or maybe 2 that get picked up most of the time. This can be a problem owning a digital body.

I'd also not be put off by auto focus cameras since they really in many instances sport improvements not only in that specific feature. Metering systems also improved to a great degree along with many other features including incorporated flash, diopters for us blind people and increased shooting speeds for action photography which includes 2 and 3 year old children. Ergonomics was a big plus as well with better handholds. If you stay in the Canon lineup you'll use your current lenses and have the advantage of more adapters available then other brands to use other lenses. Really a big plus there.

Look for big bright viewfinders and meters with at least 0 Ev sensitivity. I'm especially fond of exposure and flash compensation (and readouts) along with an incorporated flash. While not a Canon enthusiast outside FD, there are from what I have read some really good late model film bodies at reasonable prices.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey wrightguy ! FM with 50-1.8 & 85-1.4. Inside Tri-x 400>1600 or 3200. Outside dev. with D76 and that will teach you asking silly questions ok, there has to be a finger and a good eye next to this; so every camera is suitable! Start with the cheapest one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Handling dark situations has more to do with the photographer's skill, not the camera, which is there only to see the scene and commit it to film.
    Any camera at all can handle dark situations — when you know how.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Wow...I learned something Thanks for your post!

Nice photos btw.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Les, you need to stop posting this stuff, the LX is too sexy (And it would definitely break my bank)

I was under the impression that the OM family cameras were also capable of practically unlimited exposure times, since the OTF metering technology is practically the same. On a whim, I wound up my OM-2's shutter in the middle of the night and let it run with the cap on, the shutter clapped shut after some 40 seconds, so I guess I was wrong there. Then again it's a pretty battered piece and something could be off.

(sorry if thread hijacking)

(Also, what film was that? Exposing for 40 minutes, don't problems with reciprocity failure crop up?)

Shooter
    35mm
    Reciprocity failure - no data sheets for this in the exposure times I use, and mixed lighting all conspired to give that result from Kodak Ektar 100. We surely are in the golden age of film with these modern formulas

Shooter
    35mm
    I found a good deal on a Nikon Manual Focus N2000. I think this will be a good introduction to the film photography world. Thank you everyone for your help. Every post helped and I will look back here if I ever decide to get a different/ new to me film SLR.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon N2000 = Nikon F-301

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure if SLR is the best 35mm film camera system. You may want to check rangefinders and compact film cameras...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin