Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,650   Online: 860

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sure that the original Olympus Pen series qualifies as one of the best 35mm Film Camera too. With today's great film quality, you can take advantage of doubling the number of frames from your normal roll of film

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    I am sure that the original Olympus Pen series qualifies as one of the best 35mm Film Camera too. With today's great film quality, you can take advantage of doubling the number of frames from your normal roll of film
    OMG I want one of those so bad.

Hey Wrightguy, welcome to APUG (I'm kinda new here too, though not at all new to film).

Also welcome to the satisfying world of shooting film.

I just wanted to chime in here to mention that a good question to ask might be "what film do I want to use". Film is your "sensor", and you can put the very best films into some pretty simple cameras and get amazing results!

Here are some films I recommend trying:
    Kodak Tmax 3200 (pleasantly grainy Black and White film, very fast)
    Kodak Portra 800 (great color film)
    Ilford HP5 (you can shoot this 400 BW speed film at 1600 and get great results. just ask your photo lab to "push 2 stops")
    Kodak Tri-x (also can be pushed to 1600)
    Fuji Pro 400H ... maybe someone else can tell me (us) if this film can be pushed. I think it can. It has great color tones.
    Ilford XP 400 Super

Also, Flickr is a great resource. Just search for a particular film, and you'll begin to get a feel for what they look like. I almost always tag my films in the photos, and there is even a group called "film database": http://www.flickr.com/groups/filmdatabase/

On a camera note, I have used extensively and can recommend:
    Pentax Spotmatic w/ Super Takumar or SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4
    Pentax KX, MX, or K1000 with SMC Pentax M 50mm/1.4 or 1.7
    Minolta X-700 or any Minolta SRT camera with 50mm 1.4

Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Ricoh, Uses Pentax lenses but better quality bodies than pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best 35mm, its one you are comfortable using, size and control location. Prices run from great to expensive. And as others have said lens availability and cost. In the past 40 plus years I have used a lot of brands and the only difference I have seen is they were all better than me.
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best 35mm is the one you've got in your hand at the time you need it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    Ricoh, Uses Pentax lenses but better quality bodies than pentax
    Well, that's a bold statement!

The old Ricohs are good machines, but better quality than Pentax? Hmmm....
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best is the one you grab when you run out...
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    i think the best camera is the one that when you grab it becomes the extention of your hand!
    I just bought minolta x-700 and i am feeling that way....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, that's a bold statement!

The old Ricohs are good machines, but better quality than Pentax? Hmmm....
    A statement which doesn't really match what I've seen either! I don't think Ricoh made anything up to the standard of the LX/K2/Spotmatic family (which I include the KX/KM/K1000/MX in).

Looking at a scan of a 1985 "Argos" catalogue it would appear that Ricoh SLRs were regarded as mid range. A KR-10 Super with 50mm f2 lens, 2x TC and ERC was priced at £145, an ME Super with 50/1.7 lens, AF200S flash and gadget bag was £190. Having handled a KR-10 I'll be hanging onto my K2!

Pentax did make some dubious SLR bodies in the late 1990s (the MZ series with their splitting plastic drive cog, and the "crippled" K mount on some of these) but all of their MF bodies were solid, reliable cameras. Sure, they wear out and some bodies wear out faster than others. The P30 for example was designed for the amateur market and probably isn't as tough as a KX, but it takes the same lenses so can produce images of equal quality.

My Dad bought a brand-new K2 in 1978. He still has it. It still works perfectly although I did have to replace the light seals and mirror foam for him. It was used for over twenty years of family holiday photos and even survived being dropped down a mountainside in its first couple of years, then sat in his wardrobe from about 2000 or so after he bought a digital thing. When I fished it out last year to replace the seals it just needed a clean and fresh batteries before it came back to life. Don't think you can argue with that record!

The best is definitely the one with a light-tight body, accurate shutter speeds, and reliable light meter that you have to hand. It doesn't matter whether it's a freshly-serviced LX or an OM-101 you paid £10 for. When you're the only person to witness "that" event any camera will do.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon F. If assaulted while photographing, you can use it as a weapon.
    juan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin