Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,688   Online: 836

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I put in my €0,02.

The best camera is the one you take with you
    With that out of the way. The best camera I've ever used, period, is the Minolta Dynax 9 (a.k.a. Maxxum 9) - it is very intuitive and fast. It is better then the Minolta Dynax 7 or the Canon EOS 1v (did I hear somebody say blasphemy?).
    I do like my Minolta XD-5 and XD-11, but I don't expect them to be really better then good offerings by other manufacturers of the same era (late '70's, early 80's) - but never tried those, so I can nominate them for best manual focus camera

But seeing you already own Canon, I would go Canon. The EOS 1v, EOS 1n and EOS 3 are great cameras, however, their user-interface is something you've gotta learn (unlike the Dynax 9) and they're big and heavy (just like the Dynax 9). I don't like the Canon EOS 30/33 (Elan 7), on paper it seems to be the best choice, but I seem to prefer the EOS 50E (Elan II) - the handling is much nicer and it feels much more sturdy. It has a cross AF sensor, I find that important. The only downside imho is that it lacks a dedicated stop-down button!

Of the (even) more consumer oriented cameras, the EOS 3000v (Rebel K2) seems a nice buy, I can't find many differences between it and the more expensive EOS 300v (Rebel Ti). Stay clear of the EOS 3000n (Rebel XS N) as it is a heap of plastic junk. Consider the Canon EOS 300 (Rebel 2000), as it is a good camera. Stay clear of the 28-80/3.5-5.6 II lens, as it is the worst thing ever put on a camera - get a 50/1.8 or, even better, the new 40/2.8 to go with that film camera!

Of course this is all too late, but hey, I thought I give you my opinion
    Das Bild ist ein Modell der Wirklichkeit - Ludwig Wittgenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    It might not be the light meter which is stuffed. I bought one a couple of weeks ago which appeared dead but returned to working order after I cleaned the battery cover. If that doesn't do it then a CLA shouldn't be horribly expensive and will get it working perfectly.

Lenses aren't hard to find for little outlay, just stick to SMC Pentax or SMC Pentax-M (ideally primes) as they'll be the nicest to use on that body and there are no real horrors amongst them.
    You were right. It was the battery. I had used a brand new A76 but it turns out I needed the S76. So now it seems to be working fine. I was mistaken, also, it is a KM so leaving a lens cap off runs the battery flat. So that's all sorted. Now to find a suitable 28mm Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by andrewf; 01-04-2013 at 07:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    SMC Pentax or SMC Pentax-M 28mm f3.5, whichever you can get hold of. The earlier lens is a little sharper but bigger and harder to find.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really love the EOS 1V-HS. I shoot with two bodies all the time. The thing that I like about it the most is the AF accuracy, weather sealing and the ability to capture the metadata for each frame using the ES-E1 software/cable bundle.

Also, CANON still services the 1V (brand new bodies are still being sold in ADORAMA, B&H etc.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    Yep--Nikkormat. Good as it gets or needs to be.
    Unless you don't like the shutter speed and ASA selectors, or its ergonomics, or moving the coupling pin and setting the lens to 5.6 before mounting, (with "the twist", of course). Or you want a brighter finder, interchangeable focusing screens, or prefer something smaller, or lighter, or quieter. Or a silicon cell meter. Or...

They are beautifully made, solid and durable, but I much preferred several other cameras over the Nikkormats. Nikkormats are excellent for teaching the fundamentals, with nothing extra (except meter), and nothing missing (MLU, DoF preview). So I agree it's as good as it needs to be, but not that it's as good as it gets.
    I love the F2, especially with the plain prism, so if I'm going to have the size and weight, it's the F2 for me.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the Yashica/Kyocera Contax cameras have viewfinders that are noticeably better than most cameras that I've handled. And that does make a difference when out and about.

The Rolleiflex SL35 E also has a very nice viewfinder - perhaps a notch below that of the Contax models.

Among rangefinders, Cosina showed that it could rise above its middle-of-the-road cameras that it made/makes for others and produce a rangefinder with overall excellent handling that carries a terrific viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there were no ham receivers.
    Hey, I love receiving ham!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good as it gets on a Hammarlund.
    It's got ham right in the name! I don't understand all the jargon, but that's OK. I can make my own glaze, and I don't care if it's pre-sliced or not!

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there anything particularly good about the Nikkormat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Henry I hear ya.
    I have 3-4 F's, 1-F2 an FM2n and a Nikkormat FTN and an FT2 and I was amazed at how smooth the film advance was on the mats.
    Both meters work in them and I gotta say they hold a candle to any of the more "pro" models.

The mats actually have beter MLU than my F's but I still grab the F's first. IDK just something about the way thy are balanced/handle.

The mat is no budget camera in my mind.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin