Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,545   Online: 939

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Black Canon FX - How rare is it really?

A friend has just bought an all black Canon FX. Wikipedia has this to say about it:

The FX was available with either silver or black metal parts. There are only two known all-black models; one is owned by a private collector in Indiana, USA.
    Is this true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FX

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wikipedia = user edited content = take with a pound a salt. Some articles are very factual, but just like "urban dictionary", user edited data = tons of BS and opinion rather than fact.

If this information is true, I'd urge your friend to sell it tothat collector at a huge premium, no need to give them stuff cheaply, let them pay, they can afford it.......
    Last edited by Ricus.stormfire; 12-16-2012 at 07:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    He has been looking for one for about five years now. He knows that they are rare but doubts the Wikipedia statement, as do I.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that sounds a bit like a stretch...and the " There are only two known all-black models" bit leaves room to ponder how many "unknown" ones there could be. I see the source for the info is from the Canon online camera museum, but nowhere there it states anything about there only being two known. I suspect whoever wrote the wikipedia article took some liberty to add that, and wikipedia editors neglected to put the BS alert aka citation needed to it. That camera "museum" is an interesting resource though....and I would recommend anyone with an interest in Canon cameras to check it out. (http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/)

Maybe your friend has got something special there, idk. I am not interested in collecting cameras anymore....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe he should put it on eBay and see what the world market says it is worth.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hang onto it, use it carefully, and enjoy it. It'll still be worth something in years to come.

I'm forever finding cameras and lenses which evidently sat in a wardrobe for decades judging by how few signs of use they have. They usually get new light seals, new batteries, and regular exercise after arriving here.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure is a interesting camera.

Jeff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin