Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,348   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    G lenses work on almost every autofocus Nikon. I have personal experience with the F4, on which G lenses work, but you are limited to P and S mode. VR doesn't work, but AF-S does even though the F4 predates AF-S technology by quite a while!

I'm pretty sure APS-C lenses can't be used on anything other than the Proneas, but DX lenses can indeed be used on 35mm bodies as well as FX. The amount of falloff varies from lens to lens. It also varies based on aperture, focal length, and focus setting. A lot of Thom Hogan's reviews of DX zooms will tell you what focal lengths are usable without vignetting: http://www.bythom.com

Edit: Also look at Kav's brilliant post above! We posted at the same time but his is much more useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm shopping for a 35mm macro lens, and trying to decide if I should get a 35mm one or a DX one. For 35mm macro, a DX-format lens might actually be BETTER than a 35mm lens. Coverage should be no problem with extension rings or a bellows, and I assume DX lenses are at least as sharp or sharper than 35mm lenses within the limits of their coverage.
    I would not assume anything but rather check the resolution of both types of lenses. Due to the limitations of the digital sensors lenses for these cameras can have lower resolution.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Some lenses sold for DSLRs are based on existing film designs. There's strong evidence to suggest that the Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 is based on the FA 35mm f2, and the DA40 looks suspiciously similar to the old Pentax-M 40mm. Both have been tested on film and found perfectly usable, although you need a body capable of controlling the aperture as neither lens has an aperture ring.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have put several Nikon lenses on my APS camera and on my D70. Some of the lenses protrude too deeply into the APS body cavity and inhibit the motion of the mirror. When I try APS lenses or my D70 lenses on my 2020 or other Nikons, there is severe vignetting. as in the photo in post #10.

Not all auto modes work, but most do. My best choice is my Micro Nikkor which works on all 3 camera series, APS, 35mm and digital.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The F4 body has a program mode, so obviously it can set aperture. It might force you to turn the aperture ring when you use the more-manual modes, though.
    I got it wrong then, I thought you meant to manually set the aperture on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I would not assume anything but rather check the resolution of both types of lenses. Due to the limitations of the digital sensors lenses for these cameras can have lower resolution.
    My understanding is the digital sensor has higher resolution than film --> higher lens resolution. No?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lower than and smaller than!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    IMy understanding is the digital sensor has higher resolution than film --> higher lens resolution. No?
    This is what the makers of digital cameras would like you to believe. Each cell in a digital sensor is a macroscopic entity. The individual grains in a photographic emulsion are microscopic. While the resolution of digital cameras has improved it still lags far behind that of film. The lenses for digital cameras do not have to meet the same speciifications as those for film cameras. Would you put a Ferrari engine in a go-cart?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin