Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,982   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

DX/APS lenses on 35mm?

Which APS lenses will work on 35mm? Does anyone use any digital-format lenses on 35mm with good results?

Ordinarily, we assume that for example a Nikon DX lens will not cover 35mm because the DX format is smaller (same size as APS). However as large format photographers know, format coverage is relative, and some lenses will cover a larger format than they are advertised for, just with less sharpness in the corners. If you always use small apertures or you shoot at close ranges, you can get away with using a 4x5 lens on 5x7, for example.

I have both a D70 and F801s. When I try my 18-55mm DX lens on my F801 (which has SUCH a better viewfinder...) the corners are dark at the wide setting, but this seems to go away completely near the 55mm setting. I reckon I could use this lens if I was pressed to do so.

I'm shopping for a 35mm macro lens, and trying to decide if I should get a 35mm one or a DX one. For 35mm macro, a DX-format lens might actually be BETTER than a 35mm lens. Coverage should be no problem with extension rings or a bellows, and I assume DX lenses are at least as sharp or sharper than 35mm lenses within the limits of their coverage.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suppose as long as you don't try to shoot with the aperture wide open it should work with the extensions, just possibly not as well as a run-of-the-mill 35mm. I don't really see the advantage of getting a DX over a 35mm MF lens unless you feel you really need the AF. Or is the DX cheaper?
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    35mm
    suppose as long as you don't try to shoot with the aperture wide open it should work with the extensions, just possibly not as well as a run-of-the-mill 35mm.
    Really? Why? I thought that DX lenses were sharper in the middle than 35mm, because they need to be for the smaller format.

Some of the DX lenses are indeed cheap.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are not using pro bodies there is a chance you might get that vignette worst than you see. The non pro bodies don't have 100% VF coverage so what you see is not what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm -- isn't it possible there could be mirror interference using the smaller format on a full frame? I'm not familiar with the Nikon stuff, but I'm thinking at least some Canon EFS lenses can be a problem and have a nub somewhere that prevents mounting them on a full frame body. Because the mirrors in a "crop frame" body are smaller, the rear lens elements can be allowed to stick out closer to the film plane. No 1st hand experience -- thus far.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aside from coverage the bigger problem is aperture control. Most modern lenses do not have aperture rings so 'f22 and be there' becomes the default setting on most bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good point about the aperture rings on Nikon G lenses. You have to set the aperture on the body for those. What does that mean for F4/5/6 where you CAN set the aperture on the body...in fact you have to set the lens to F22 in order to use the auto modes. Does this mean the "G" lenses will work on AF film bodies, so long as you don't try to use Manual modes?

Of course most macro rings/bellows don't couple the aperture, so with those you truly are stuck at minimum aperture with G lenses.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think you can set aperture on F4 body

Shooter
    35mm
    The F4 body has a program mode, so obviously it can set aperture. It might force you to turn the aperture ring when you use the more-manual modes, though.
    f/22 and be there.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format

Re: DX/APS lenses on 35mm?

I tried out the 35mm 1.8g and 18-55mm kit lenses (both DX lenses) on my F4. The Lenses will work with the two program modes and if I recall the shutter mode. The 35mm needs to be shot pretty well wide open to prevent the corners of the frame darkening. So I used the hi program mode. (It attempts to use higher shutter speeds so it is more likely to keep the lens wide open. The 18-55mm is totally usable zoomed in past about 22mm.

Here's a few photos shot with those two lenses on the F4:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin