Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,387   Online: 1088

Shooter
    35mm RF

Cross Country Skiing

We do a fair amount of cross country skiing. It does not seem like a great idea to keep a 35 mm. camera in a backpack. Does anyone know of a strap/holder/etc. that would allow skiing but still allow me to keep the camera under my jacket?

Stan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do a fair amount of Cross-Country. True to APUG philosophy, I still wax -- with a propane-fired waxing torch. IMHO - beats the squat out of ANY waxless.

Even the lightest of "common" 35mms feels like a cement block around one's neck, when you're out there . My best - so far - has been a Minolta 110 ... with a weird battery. Haven't used that puppy for a while - but it was, by far, the best.

I've been thinking of *one* - the Minox 35. Apparently the most compact and lightest around, except for the 8mm x 11mm Minoxes.

Anyone have information/ opinions about the Minox 35s?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bum bag.

Sorry, not an insult ... I think they are called "fanny packs" in the U.S. (but "fanny" is a naughty word over here and means something quite different).

You could wear it at the front and under your clothes, rather than over them. Not tried it under clothes but I often wear one when walking in the hills - I guess it depends how far your top layers of clothing extend over your tummy/hips.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess "Fanny", if worn to the rear, would be preferable to "Pregnant" packs if worn in the front.

I'm familiar with them. Personally, on the trail, I'd *MUCH*prefer a "lightest of light" back pack.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As to the Minox 35s. Fine little cameras but prone to shutter trouble, esp. the older types. Good sharp lens. www.submin.com/35mm/manuals/minox

After having two Minoxes break down with shutter failure I bought a second hand Olympus XA which so far has given me better service. www.diaxa.com
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Minox 35: Nice cameras, though I agree unfortunately about the shutter comment. Of three cameras, two have had bad shutters.

The Olympus XA might do nicely for you. Possibly the Rollei 35, though it doesn't offer the same level of protection as either the Olympus or the Minox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Indeed the Rollei may also be a good option as it offers full manual override which is handy when taking pics in the snow. The XA has aperture priority with one-and-half stop exposure compensation.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I brlieve Tamrac makes a strap that will hold the camera snug to your chest & can easily be slipped off for use. Check with any full line Tamrac dealer, If they don't stock the item they should be able to order it for you.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin